General discussion

Windows 2000 Upgrade from network drive?

By achen2002 ·
Is there any way to configure a Windows 2000 Pro to do Windows Upgrade from a network drive?

There are maybe 5-10 critical upgrades / security patches every month, I don't want to do this on 50 computes one by one.

Also Internet access is another issue, we don't open the permission for every user, so it become a pain when we need to do Windows Upgrade through windowsupdate.microsoft.com, there are is much to do just to connect a computer to Internet temporarily.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by majalu In reply to Windows 2000 Upgrade from ...

It looks like you should consider installing SMS to your server, or setting up a new server to run SMS. You can then install these upgrades on your SMS server and schedule these updates automatically.

Collapse -

by achen2002 In reply to Windows 2000 Upgrade from ...

Majalu,

Thanks for the answer, I have few more questions:

1. As far as my understanding, SMS is "Systems management software" which requires SQL, does it comes with Win 2000 Server, or only Adv. Server, or even higher level of OS?

2. After SMS is configured, does this work interactively (e.g. client computes check periodically about what updates they lack and only do those update from the SMS server), or it is about policy enforement? (e.g. System admin setup from the SMS server to push installation to EVERY client, no matter a client had done this update or not) ?

Collapse -

by achen2002 In reply to Windows 2000 Upgrade from ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Software Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)