General discussion

Windows 2000 will not boot up.

By total geek ·
I went to restart my pc and it keeps coming up with an error "...One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency" I then let it do a scan of the disk to no avail. It keeps rebooting with the same message. Before doing a recovery, is there anything else I can do so I don;t have to start from scratch. I can boot in safe mode but I can't seem to find what the problem is especially with limited resources.

Could someone please help me.

Mil

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by lyallaust In reply to Windows 2000 will not boo ...

This probably wont fix it, but...

Go to the Win2K disk manager. Found in Control Panel --> Administrative Tools --> Computer Management --> Disk Management (under Storage expansion menu). There are other ways to get there, but this way always works.

If you're lucky the drive will be listed as unhealthy, and a repair procedure will be recommended. If it is listed as healthy, try viewing the Physical drive properties, and go into the Tools Tab.

It's not much, but it may help.

Collapse -

by total geek In reply to Windows 2000 will not boo ...

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by IPv6Guru In reply to Windows 2000 will not boo ...

The above solution is the one Microsoft themselves will provide you with. It won't work, it might even do more damage than is already done. The next step will be "resort to third-party utilities" (and thereby making this a Not-caused-by-microsoft error).

I say, go with third party such as Ontrack/Norton. For all you know, it can be as simple as a corrupt descriptor.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by bart777 In reply to Windows 2000 will not boo ...

Or you could boot the machine up with the install cd in the machine and try a repair install. This will do a basic chek of the hard drive and restore any files that have been lost.
If you have any third party software to check the disk with do that before you do the repair.

Good Luck

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by estebandelatorre In reply to Windows 2000 will not boo ...

Sir, you are facing a serious HD problem.
Your drive (or drives) will need a fresh format in order to mark some sectors as bad, and continuing using the rest of the disk.
Try to boot the system with F8 to see if it can boot, perform this steps many times. If you can make it boot, format it.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)