General discussion

Word 2000

By dmoo ·
My Word 2000 program will no longer open files. After I select a file to open and double click it, the program goes into a perpetual hourglass function, freezes my computer, and will not open the Word document. I did get one error message which read, "WIN Word caused a General Protection Default in module User.Exe at 0006.00006c4f" Do you know what is causing Word to hand up when trying to open a Word document? I have reloaded Word 2000 and have reloaded Windows 98. No change in the situation. After a did a scan disk and disk defrag I had 30 or 40 files then ended up as CHK type files so I must have had major problem, perhaps a virus. I do have Norton Antivirus installed.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Deadly Ernest In reply to Word 2000

Sounds like the Word files are very corrupt.

I would deinstall Word, then go into the HDD and manually delete the directory it was in, and any relevant .ini file in hte Windows directory. I would also delete the .chk files, any .tmp files(a search on *.tmp will find them for you), delete any files starting with ~

Empty the recycling bin, then run scan disk and defrag.

Then reload MS Word.

You should scan disk and defrag regularly, at least monthly. When a program gets to fragmented it starts losing bits and gets corrupted to easily, and that is what it sound like has happened.

Collapse -

by dmoo In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by sgt_shultz In reply to Word 2000

well, have you downloaded latest virus definitions and done full system scan? have you tried a Word repair (Start/Control Panel/Add remove programs/MS Office/Repair.

Collapse -

by dmoo In reply to

Collapse -

by Michael34 In reply to Word 2000

Well part of the problem may be a virus or even its your hard drive going out. I had a problem like it, where MS Excel would lock up and do illegal operations when I tryed to open a file.

First Off, when you reload your PC, you should delete everything, including the MBR. I use Delpar to do that for me, then recreate it, as formatting alone is not always good enough.

Second off, Norton is not very good. My company used Norton for 2 years and had so many problems and viruses get through that at the rate we were going at, our servers would be useless within a few months, so we upgraded to Mcafee and never got another virus since then.

Third - If you know, what version of Office were the documents created under? I know some issues have been addressed with documents being created under Office 97 and trying to open them with 2000 (Minor problem we had). Also try to create a Word Document, save it and open it. Let me know if it works fine, as it may just be the files are messed up, but I am more less leaning toward a Boot or BIOS Virus, since you formatted and are still having the problem.

Any additional information you have, please let me know.

Collapse -

by dmoo In reply to

Collapse -

by dmoo In reply to Word 2000

This question was closed by the author

Back to Software Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)