Software

Our forums are currently in maintenance mode and the ability to post is disabled. We will be back up and running as soon as possible. Thanks for your patience!

General discussion

Word 2000

By dmoo ·
My Word 2000 program will no longer open files. After I select a file to open and double click it, the program goes into a perpetual hourglass function, freezes my computer, and will not open the Word document. I did get one error message which read, "WIN Word caused a General Protection Default in module User.Exe at 0006.00006c4f" Do you know what is causing Word to hand up when trying to open a Word document? I have reloaded Word 2000 and have reloaded Windows 98. No change in the situation. After a did a scan disk and disk defrag I had 30 or 40 files then ended up as CHK type files so I must have had major problem, perhaps a virus. I do have Norton Antivirus installed.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Deadly Ernest In reply to Word 2000

Sounds like the Word files are very corrupt.

I would deinstall Word, then go into the HDD and manually delete the directory it was in, and any relevant .ini file in hte Windows directory. I would also delete the .chk files, any .tmp files(a search on *.tmp will find them for you), delete any files starting with ~

Empty the recycling bin, then run scan disk and defrag.

Then reload MS Word.

You should scan disk and defrag regularly, at least monthly. When a program gets to fragmented it starts losing bits and gets corrupted to easily, and that is what it sound like has happened.

Collapse -

by dmoo In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by sgt_shultz In reply to Word 2000

well, have you downloaded latest virus definitions and done full system scan? have you tried a Word repair (Start/Control Panel/Add remove programs/MS Office/Repair.

Collapse -

by dmoo In reply to

Collapse -

by Michael34 In reply to Word 2000

Well part of the problem may be a virus or even its your hard drive going out. I had a problem like it, where MS Excel would lock up and do illegal operations when I tryed to open a file.

First Off, when you reload your PC, you should delete everything, including the MBR. I use Delpar to do that for me, then recreate it, as formatting alone is not always good enough.

Second off, Norton is not very good. My company used Norton for 2 years and had so many problems and viruses get through that at the rate we were going at, our servers would be useless within a few months, so we upgraded to Mcafee and never got another virus since then.

Third - If you know, what version of Office were the documents created under? I know some issues have been addressed with documents being created under Office 97 and trying to open them with 2000 (Minor problem we had). Also try to create a Word Document, save it and open it. Let me know if it works fine, as it may just be the files are messed up, but I am more less leaning toward a Boot or BIOS Virus, since you formatted and are still having the problem.

Any additional information you have, please let me know.

Collapse -

by dmoo In reply to

Collapse -

by dmoo In reply to Word 2000

This question was closed by the author