General discussion

Word 2000: Grouping text and pictures

By john ·
I use Word 2000 to prepare reports that usually contain a lot of photographs. I have tried using text boxes to contain each photo with a second text box beneath or to one side containing explanatory text. However, the text and photo do not stay together - and worse do not even stay on the same page! I cannot find any way to group pictures to text and to lock both onto a page. I normally put two photos and two related text boxes on each page.
At present, I am forced to use tables. This works but is very hungry on disk space, forcing me to split reports into several blocks of 6 pages or so. I believe the text box option is much more economic - if I can work out how to do it. I normally paste photos into Word as a Word Picture to get best quality and space usage (from a previous TechRepublic article).
All help is appreciated.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Paula.S In reply to Word 2000: Grouping text ...

I've been working on a manual that includes screen shots, text, arrows, etc. Place the pictures in a text box and your corresponding text in a text box. Click on one of the boxes so you can see the sizing handles, then hold down the shift key and click on the other box and lines, arrows, etc. until you see the sizing handles on each piece. Then you can either right click and click on group, or go to the Drawing toolbar and click on Draw then Group. If you need to make adjustments, you can look for the repositioning indicator, click so you see the sizing handles, then click on Draw, Ungroup. After your adjustments, you can either Regroup or group again. You can edit the text in the text boxes without ungrouping, you'll only need to ungroup if you add more text than the size of the box.

This will keep the pictures/text together, anywhere you want to place them.

Collapse -

by john In reply to Word 2000: Grouping text ...

That is excellent - the right click was what I needed to know. I had been trying to select both text boxes and then group from the Drawing toolbar. Many thanks ..... you fixed it!

Collapse -

by john In reply to Word 2000: Grouping text ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Software Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)