General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

Word 2002

by dharrison ·

I am running the Works Suite on a new windows 2000 professional PC. The application loads pretty well, but sits for quite a while before I can actually opt to open a file. Then, when trying to close the application – it hangs. Task Manager shows it not responding – and I have to end task.

I have downloaded and installed the service pack currently on Microsofts website and have tried to delete the normal.dot file (per something I read in Tech Republic)

Any help would be great!

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

Word 2002

by ann777 ·

In reply to Word 2002

Delete the normal.dot file and also delete any ~*.* files. Word and Excel tends to open documents with ~filename.doc ( or ~filename.xls) while you work with the original document. If Word is having problems then those files tend to not get deleted and tend to accumulate and cause delays.

Also delete *.tmp, *.bak, and anything under Temporary Internet Files (if you are using Internet Explorer as your web browser) or Cache (if you are using Netscape as your web broswer).

Reboot and see if you get any better response.

You might also want to check event viewer (Control Panel –> Administrative Tools –> Event Viewer) and look for any reoccuring errors that can be causing slowdown problems as a whole.

Word 2002

by dharrison ·

In reply to Word 2002

Deleted all files – didn’t help. Have already checked the Event Viewer – nothing really looks odd there. System runs fine with all other applications.

Word 2002

by dklippert ·

In reply to Word 2002

Make sure that speech recognition is off. (Tools>Speech)

See:

http://tinyurl.com/1w4o

Word 2002

by dharrison ·

In reply to Word 2002

That option wasn’t installed. 🙁 Wish it could have been that simple.

Viewing 1 reply thread