Question

Word 2003 reports windows can not find file

By paul.scotto ·
I have Microsoft Office 2003.

Word 2003 is the default application for .doc files. When I open a .doc file from explorer Word 2003 opens as expected but errors:

"Windows cannot find '{file path}'. Make sure you type the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click Search."

Real useful error info, eh? Seems to be a bit of a catch-all. The thing is: the {file path} is always correct.

Using File->Open and selecting the file will successfully open the file.

I am suspecting that this may have something to do with the filetype settings that you can access in Folder Options -> File Types. It might be useful if somebody who does not experience this problem can give me the information they have for .doc files there.

Other than that, if anybody can provide any insight or a solution to this problem I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Paul

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Fixed

by paul.scotto In reply to Word 2003 reports windows ...

Considering how long I've been trying to remedy this problem it's sort of funny that only now I manage to find a solution.

I looked at the File-Type information for .doc files under advanced and looked at the stuff for the Open option.

Then I went into Command Prompt and tried typing it in manually (winword.exe file.doc) and it opened perfectly. I just disabled DDE and editted the add to use to `"C...\WINWORD.EXE" "%1"` to it worked fine.

Collapse -

Help

by nicoletanta In reply to Fixed

Plz could you possibly tell me how can I fix the problem with word 2003 that reports that cannot find file ?? I didn't understand the solution you gave.Thank you in advance.

Collapse -

HELP PLEASE

by rlcc09 In reply to Word 2003 reports windows ...

paul please help, i have tried every other thing ive seen online, nothing works and yours is different but i do not understand it there is very little detail in your post. It would mean a great deal, thank you.

Collapse -

Maybe it was something like this

by Jacky Howe In reply to Word 2003 reports windows ...

Open Explorer, under Tools, Folder Options, File Types, find the DOC and click Advanced, then click Open and then Edit. Try unticking Use DDE.
<br>
If that doesn't work go back in and modify the line below to
<br>
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\WINWORD.EXE" /n /dde
<br>
look like this or try the ones below
<br>
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\WINWORD.EXE""%1"
<br><br>
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\WINWORD.EXE"/"%1"
<br><br>
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\WINWORD.EXE"/%1
<br><br>
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\WINWORD.EXE" %1

Collapse -

Generic file association fix.

by 1bn0 In reply to Word 2003 reports windows ...

I have often "repaired" file associations by DELETING them from the list.

THen open Explorer and attempt to open the file by double clicking it. When the Select program box comes up, select the application and check the box, always use this program.

Successful 75% of the time.

Back to Software Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)