Question

Word 2003 Template in Word 2007

By ollie ·
About 6 months ago i created a Word template for our company reports. I at the time had Word 2007 whilst the rest of the company (about 20 of us) were using 2003 version of Word. The other users were unable to open the template i'd created without there being serious issues, both in the template itself, and documents created from the template.
The document would open, and display only about 10-15 pages, if you continued to scroll past page 10 then the pages would be corrupted and not display.
At the time, the most sensible option seemed to be to re-install Word 2003 on my machine and start again, so everyone had the same.
The company has since replaced half the computers, so now there is a 50:50 split between Word 2003 and Word 2007.

Users with Word 2007 cannot open the 2003 template document. It is corrupt and opens only the first 10 or so pages.

Any suggestions would be very well received!!

Kind regards,

Ollie

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

You will need to recreate the template....

by ThumbsUp2 In reply to Word 2003 Template in Wor ...

According to Microsoft, even with the compatability pack installed, 2003 users "cannot open Office Word 2007 template files that were saved in .dotx or .dotm format"

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word/HA100444731033.aspx

What you did after creating the template in 2007 then opening it in 2003 was to corrupt it so neither could use it.

Since the template you have is now corrupted beyond repair, you will need to recreate it from scratch. While you're at it, create one template for 2007 users and a different template for 2003 users and tell everyone not to open the wrong one. Save copies of them somewhere so you can copy back to where they're used, just in case.

Back to Software Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)