General discussion

Word 2007 Extremely Slow When Updating Links to Excel

By james.a.thomas ·
I have a Word document (saved in Word 2003 format) that contains fields linking to data in an Excel spreadsheet. When I update the
links using Word 2003, they are updated in 10-15 seconds. However, when I use Word 2007, I lose patience after 20 minutes when it still
has not finished updating these fields. It does not respond to the ESC key, so I have to kill both the WinWord and Excel processes from
Task Manager.

I have done much searching on the Internet about this problem and read a lot of stuff. However, nothing they suggested worked, and
there are a lot of discrepancies in suggestions I found (e.g., recommending things that are not even possible in Word 2007, like turning off DDE).

Does anyone here have a suggestion re what I should try? I've run out of options!

Thanks in advance for your help.

Alan

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

1 total post (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

This is a known MS bug and they haven't fixed it

by lsangree In reply to Word 2007 Extremely Slow ...

We have logged this issue with MS and they admit it is a known bug. Their suggested workaround, which does speed it up, is to save all Word documents in .doc format instead of .docx. Works for links issue, but of course you can't use any new 2007 functionality.

Microsoft needs to fix this!!!

Back to Software Forum
1 total post (Page 1 of 1)