General discussion

Word 97 hangs in Windows 2000

By bakny2000 ·
We are in the process of moving from Windows 95 to Windows 2000. The problem only appears in Windows 2000. When you double-click on the Word icon, nothing happens for approximately 1 minute. Eventually it will open but anything you try to do involves a major delay and ultimately stops responding. If you reboot (sometimes once, sometimes 3 times or even 5 times) it straightens out and everything is fine. Here's where it gets wierd: it doesn't happen to everyone, and it only happens sporadically. One person has it happen 3 to 5 times a week. Another person twice a month. Out of 40 W2K users, approximately 15 experience the problem. In each case, rebooting straightens it out. The only common denominator is Windows 2000. We tried recreating the normal.dot, bypassing startup files, reinstalling Word. I've run out of ideas.....

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

10 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by maxwell edison In reply to Word 97 hangs in Windows ...

If you install Office97 Service Pack 2, the problem should go away.

Here is a link to the Microsoft site for the download file and information.

http://tinyurl.com/4c9x

Collapse -

by bakny2000 In reply to Word 97 hangs in Windows ...

Everyone has Service Pack 2.

Collapse -

by sgt_shultz In reply to Word 97 hangs in Windows ...

what's running in Close Program when this happens? on the bad machines. on the good machines. how is you anti-virus protection?

Collapse -

Anti-virus is eTrust InoculateIT ver. 6 which downloads signatures in the background, which I thought could have something to do with it - but it did not. By "close program", do you mean task manager? MSWord shows up after a minute and is not responding. Is there something I can look for under processes?

Collapse -

by PaulP In reply to Word 97 hangs in Windows ...

Have you disabled FINDFAST?
Run Office97 setup - add or remove components - listed under Office Tools uncheck FINDFAST.

Collapse -

For the last few days, I was almost ready to send you on a vacation of your choice, but FindFast has failed. It was something that made a lot of sense and I would have never thought to look. Each time the problem occurred, I ran setup, removed FindFast and it seemed to be the answer. However, after a day or two, it happened again on the same pc. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Collapse -

Point value changed by question poster.

Collapse -

by simon.eller In reply to Word 97 hangs in Windows ...

We had a similar problem with Excel 97 running on some W2K machines. It was to do with Excel not registering in the registry.
Try the following:
Close Word.
Start-->Run

winword.exe /regserver

Collapse -

Another one that looked like it was going to work but it didn't. Thanks anyways.

Collapse -

by maxwell edison In reply to Word 97 hangs in Windows ...

See this article (it applies to different versions of Word).

"Problems opening Word"

"If Word opens very slowly..."

"This could be template or registry corruption – follow all the steps listed under “If Word crashes as soon as it opens ...."

See link:

http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/AppErrors/ProbsOpeningWord.htm

REMOVE SPACES from the pasted URL

or

http://tinyurl.com/1d5f

Back to Software Forum
10 total posts (Page 1 of 1)