General discussion

Word2000 - totally stumped by mail merge

By paul7410 ·
My company creates a CRM application that synchs with Microsoft Word 2000 to create a mail merge. The app creates a TXT file in the following format:
HEADER1,HEADER2,HEADER3,...,HEADER100 [ENTER]
"VALUE1","VALUE2","VALUE3",...,"VALUE100" [ENTER]This works fine for most of my customers, they create the merge print it out and only 1 page (1 record) is printed. However, other customers get 3 records printed out (which I imagine is due to the 3 paragraphs). I'm pretty sure this is a WORD2000issue and not our CRM issue, but I'd like to discover the cause. We've been able to duplicate in house the same behavior, then we send the TXT (Datasource) file to another PC and it works fine.

Steps I've tried so far: Suppress Blank Lines, Printer driver/settings??,MDAC??,File Types, etc.

If anyone has any ideas it would be greatly appreciated. To sum this issue up: Same datasource (which is a TXT file) on two different workstations. Create mail merge via WORD - when merge creates one page on some workstations - and 3 pages on others.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

12 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by bmcafee In reply to Word2000 - totally stumpe ...

I had a similar problem in the past. We were using HP LaserJet printers at the time. There is a difference between HP printer drivers and Microsoft printer drivers. HP printer drivers allow applications to fully control the printer. Microsoft driver allows for default printing.

Try using the manufacturer's printer driver instead of Microsoft printer driver. This can solve the type of problem you are having.

Collapse -

by paul7410 In reply to Word2000 - totally stumpe ...

Thanks bmcafee,

I checked my print drivers and the other users print drivers and they are the same. If I merge to 'new document' then the same thing happens - 3 records / 3 pages.

I am going to uninstall/reinstall the drivers to see if that makes a difference.

Collapse -

by bmcafee In reply to Word2000 - totally stumpe ...

The merge document may have hidden characters in it. Copy and paste the word document to notepad. Then copy and paste the document from notepad to a new word document. Add the merge fields and test the new merge document.

Collapse -

Bmcafee,

Had previously tried that. The problem is I can send the same TXT file to another PC (w/ same version of Word) and using that as a datasource I get 1 record. On other PC's I get the 3 records. The records on the PC that gets the 3 records correlate to the Paragraph (Carriage Return)'s.

Collapse -

I've tried different printer settings to no avail. DataSource: 1st line is header row. 2nd line is data. Data and Header have same number of fields.

Computer A: I open Word, choose Tool | Mail Merge | Create Form Letter | Get Data Source...I then edit the Main document by typing "you're ID is <<ID>>" where ID is a merge field. As soon as I insert ID the "Go to record" menu choice shows records 1,2, and 3 when using arrow keys.

Computer B: Same exact Data Source - perform same steps- When I insert ID the "Go to record" only shows 1 record.

Collapse -

Point value changed by question poster.

Collapse -

by shmaltz In reply to Word2000 - totally stumpe ...

How many records in the text file?
Send me an email with the reply and I'll see what I can do.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by DKlippert In reply to Word2000 - totally stumpe ...

Stab in the dark
Do you have the header file selected on both machines? It sounds like one machine is reading both files (header and data) and the other is only reading the header.

Collapse -

Thank you all for all your help. Especially newyorker. Anyways the cause of the issue ended up being a ODBC DSN created by installing Loftware. The ODBC DSN was used for linking TXT files to loftware, and the datasource for the mail merge was a TXT file. Deleted the DSN, and all set.

Back to Software Forum
12 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next