General discussion

Workgroup connections to Win2000

By bob ·
I need information on connecting from a workgroup to a Win2000 professional computer. I have two situations where I need to do this.

Situation One is a two station network, one computer running Win2000 Professional, the other running Win98. TheWin98 computer can connect to the Win2000, but the process of connecting is very slow. I need to make the connection transparent to the users, as it was when both computers were running Win98. The remaining Win 98 machine is probably too old to beupgraded to W2000.

Situation Two is also a small network. The Win2000 computer is a laptop configured to connect to a large network at the office using a domain name and so forth. When the laptop is in the remote office, it needs to connect to either one or two other computers both running Win 98. It can do this, but the reverse is not true. The Win98 computer(s) can see the Win2000 but can not connect to it. Whatever is done must be compatible with the main office setup.

I have searched the Microsoft KnowledgeBase for white papers, FAQ, or other resources bearing on this problem. Please direct me to documents bearing on the problem

Bob Reeves

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

1 total post (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Workgroup connections to Win2000

by tm In reply to Workgroup connections to ...

Try adding the the usernames and passwords of the users on the 98 machines to the 2000 machine and make sure you map drives, dont use unc paths, it can be painfull slow sometimes.

Good Luck

Back to Windows Forum
1 total post (Page 1 of 1)