Question

WRT54G Firmware Version: v4.30.5, Apr. 27, 2006

By aquilant ·
I have tried and tried to connect remotely through my cable router to my Linksys WRT54G to no avail. Of course I spoke to the Linksys help desk, and they are worthless. They suggested something I already used, which was DynDNS. I found DynDNS was spamming email through my connection. I was actually, for about a half hour shut off my internet connection.
Is there a simple no nonsense way of connecting using both the WRT54G and my modem?
Now I have to get my IP address, after I disconnet the WRT54G from the modem every morning to make sure I can RDP into my system.
Thanks!

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

LogMeIn

You may want to look at a service like LogMeIn. They have a free version and a more sophisticated pay version.

Unless you are using a VPN, RDP is not very secure to begin with. LogMeIn uses a SSL tunnel for the entire link and you do not have to worry about your public IP addr or if the appropriate ports are open.

https://secure.logmein.com/home.asp

Collapse -

TightVNC

by dazeboy79 In reply to WRT54G Firmware Version: ...

How secure is TightVNC? I have tried installing this so I could log in to my home PC with my iPhone. But I can't seem to get it configured right. You have to open ports on the router and forward them. I have tried this with no avail. I also tried DynDNS and also gottspammed to death and now I think my connection only lasts for so long. I have been struggling with this for a while now. Any suggestions/ideas? Maybe links for tutorials or something.

Collapse -

That's why

by Michael Kassner Contributor In reply to TightVNC

That is why I suggested LogMeIn. All of those problems go away. No open ports to worry about, no worry about public IP addrs, either. Check it out.

As for the iPhone, if you can use a web browser on it you can use LogMeIn as well.

Collapse -

Regarding LogMeIn

by aquilant In reply to That's why

My company, and I don't know why, frowns on LogMeIn and not the Operating Systems RDP.

Back to Software Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)