General discussion

XP in a Windows 2000 Network

By drwho7 ·
I am configuring a laptop that has windows xp professional on it to a network where all of the rest of the computers have Windows 2000.

Of course I am running into problems, I can get the laptop to recycle a ping with 127.0.0.1 but can not get it to ping the private gateway or anthing else. It is a brand new laptop and I don't think there is anything wrong with the nic, the laptop is an HP Pavilion ze5400 and has an eternal nic. This is just a regular 100bt network with cable, the switch is a belkin 8 port.

Any suggestions??

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by gmichaels In reply to XP in a Windows 2000 Net ...

I assume you have configured the tcp/ip properties on the local area connection with a unique IP/subnet mask or are using DHCP. Check the Internet Connection Firewall to make sure it is not turned on. You will find it in the advanced tab of the local area connection.

Collapse -

by drwho7 In reply to

It was a good suggestion, but I had already done that, I have it using DHCP by the way. When I do an ipconfig I get nothing which is unusual.

Collapse -

by gmichaels In reply to XP in a Windows 2000 Net ...

I assume you have configured the tcp/ip properties on the local area connection with a unique IP/subnet mask or are using DHCP. Check the Internet Connection Firewall to make sure it is not turned on. You will find it in the advanced tab of the local area connection.

Collapse -

by drwho7 In reply to

It was a good suggestion, but I had already done that, I have it using DHCP by the way. When I do an ipconfig I get nothing which is unusual.

Collapse -

by sgt_shultz In reply to XP in a Windows 2000 Net ...

do you have a link light? if not, try changing the NIC from autosense to 100MB full duplex. or 10MB half duplex. try plugging into known good network jack with known good cable.
if you have link light but can't ping, see if you have valid ip address. do Start/Run/command <enter> then ipconfig <enter>. see a number that looks right? if not, try ipconfig /release then ipconfig /renew. heck, try it anyway.
if you get error like 'can't contact dhcp server' then you have bad gateway setting or wrong subnet mask or broken tcpip. try uninstalling and reinstalling the nic driver if first two don't seem to be the problem.
first check for link light
then check for valid ip address, subnet mask, gateway
then try pinging or 'net view' from command prompt

Back to Windows Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)