SEE: Web hosting services comparison tool (Tech Pro Research)
Customers of GoDaddy can opt out of RUM by going to myh.godaddy.com, logging in, and clicking on the hosting account that you want to exclude. From there, click the "..." button, and "Help Us," the click "Opt Out." The script will be removed immediately from your website when opting out.
If you are looking to switch web hosts, check out TechRepublic's cheat sheet to choosing the best web host, and how to spot unscrupulous domain registrars with these four tips.
Update: GoDaddy provided this statement to TechRepublic's sister site ZDNet:
We only collect performance data, nothing more. We don't collect personal information. The data we collect is used to monitor our internal systems, optimize DNS resolution, improve network routing and server configurations, and help us improve the performance of our customers' websites.
The big takeaways for tech leaders:
- The script is known to cause performance regressions for users of AMP.
- Cheat sheet: How to become a cybersecurity pro (TechRepublic)
- Phishing attacks: A guide for IT pros (TechRepublic download)
- Information security policy (Tech Pro Research)
- Online security 101: Tips for protecting your privacy from hackers and spies (ZDNet)
- The best password managers of 2018 (CNET)
- Cybersecurity and cyberwar: More must-read coverage (TechRepublic on Flipboard)
James Sanders is a technology writer for TechRepublic. He covers future technology, including quantum computing, AI, and 5G, as well as cloud, security, open source, mobility, and the impact of globalization on the industry, with a focus on Asia.