General discussion

Windows 2000 Advan Sever an Personal PC

By ellisd ·
I am the technology director of a small school district 200 students. I want to set up Windows 2000 as a server plus serf the internet. I have an ISP provider who has given me a list if IP numbers I can use and a DNS IP number and router IP. When I set up the IP (Static) and DNS (Static) and router (Static) I lose connection to my local nework computers. As administrator how can I fix this to do both. Let me serf the net and keep communication to my local network

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by erikdr In reply to Windows 2000 Advan Sever ...

Well,
Apparently you have overlooked some IP basics. For server and workstations to see each other, they need to be on the SAME SUBNET and a few other IP compatibilities.
So either:
* Make sure you have enough static IP addresses (from the ISP) for _all_ of your LAN computers, and assign those to the LAN ones. (Presume you have 2 NIC's in the server, or a LAN NIC and dial-up to Internet.)
* Activate NAT inside W2K Server. This is not that easy! Basically then all internal LAN addresses can remain the same, the LAN NIC of the server also keeps a 'LAN' IP address, and the external NIC/DUN gets the static address. The Server will translate addresses for the workstations needing to surf the Net.

Hope thiz helpz,

<Erik> - The Netherlandz

Collapse -

by ellisd In reply to Windows 2000 Advan Sever ...

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by TimTheToolMan In reply to Windows 2000 Advan Sever ...

Hi,

Erik is kind of right but I think he's assuming that you want internet access for all the machines in your local network.

Having carefully read your question, I dont think thats what you're asking for so...

Before I answer... Can you confirm that you want the internet for the Win2K server only? Or do you want internet access throughout your LAN?

Cheers,
Tim.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by antony In reply to Windows 2000 Advan Sever ...

put in another network card. Have 1 card set to the IPs that you were assigned for net access. Set up the other network card on the same subnet that the rest of your network is on. You'll be able to see/access both.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)