General discussion

10/100

By Philippians ·
Four times already I installed a cable through a concrete wall and all these installation gives me a problem in connecting to our server. Server/Client have a 10/100 NIC. To solve this problem I transferred the cable from a 10/100 Hub to 10/10 Hub. Last night a made a cable and I plugged it at the 10/100 Hub (without passing thru the concrete wall) and still I have the same problem. And when I plugged it at the 10/10 Hub it made a connection to the server. I just want to know what seems to be the problem?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

11 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Jaqui In reply to 10/100

almost sounds like the cable is getting damaged going through the wall.
is the wall pierced by emt or just a hole drilled into it?
if the latter then that is probably the cause.

Collapse -

by Philippians In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by d'solve IT In reply to 10/100

Hi,

You have not mentioned the cable type - is it CAT5, CAT6 nor have you mentioned what type of hub/switch you are using.

Assuming that your network is with patch cabling (ie. cables go straight from the hub to the computer) and you are using RJ45 connectors, the problem lies on which hub port you are connecting your cable as well as the way the cable is attached to the RJ45.

1. Do not attach the cable to the uplink port of the hub/switch - usually this is port 1 on the hub/switch.
2. Check if the cable is properly connected to the RJ45. On RJ45 A pin 1 wire goes to pin 3 of RJ45 B at the other end of the cable. Likewise. pin 2 wire goes to pin 6 and pin 3 wire goes to pin 1. The other 4 pins connect to opposite pins at the other end.

Good luck

Collapse -

Thank you for your advice. It reminded me to double check the jack connection.

Collapse -

by DouglasB In reply to 10/100

Have you looked at the speed configuration for the NIC in the computer having the problem? Use your original cable and set the NIC to 10 instead of auto or 100.

Collapse -

Collapse -

by lmayeda In reply to 10/100

Can we assume that when you make your cables, that you have a LAN Cable Tester to verify that the cable is good? Its one of the best investments I've made.
You mentioned that you had a problem w/o passing through the concrete wall ... did you try different ports, a spare (working) cable, another hub?
Good luck

Collapse -

Collapse -

by 5jgibbs In reply to 10/100

Are you sure the client computer?s NIC is configured correctly. Sometimes those things go out of wack. Because maybe its only running at ? duplex or maybe your running the cable to long. How far are your running the actual cable? You have 100m max. So that?s like 300 feet before you need a repeater or a switch. Maybe you should try a switch instead of a HUB. Do you have absolutely no connectivity? Do you get the green indicator light in the back of the client computers NIC? If not as noted, you may be damaging the cable, or you may be running the cable to long of a distance. Check these things out, also make sure its not your 10/100 hub. I would also recommend switching that hub out to a switch for better performance overall on your network. Post back with some results, I would like to hear them. Thanks

Jeremy

Collapse -

Back to Networks Forum
11 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next