General discussion

10 to 100mbps upgrade. CAT-3 to CAT-5

By KSTV ·
On 568B configuration,what is the function of the blue and brown pair? Do I even need it? I work in a place that we have cable folks that is incharge of the wiring. And this guys are only using the orange and green pair out of a CAT-5 cable, they cut the blue and brown pair. Is this correct? Will 100mbps run on 2 pairs and be stable? I will need a hard copy to show this folks if what they are doing is wrong.

Thanks,

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by TechnoHawk In reply to 10 to 100mbps upgrade. CA ...

EIA 568B standard indicates all 8 wires, however, only 1-2,3-6 are actually used. If you have a 'cat5' tester though, it will fail cat5 tests without all 8 wires. Typically, it is a good idea not to 'cheat' on cat5. It makes for more stable connections, especially if you wish to run 10/100. Follow the standard as it is intended. Here is the standard EIA 568B wire scheme:
1-w/or
2-or/w
3-w/gr
4-blu/w
5-w/blu
6-gr/w
7-w/br
8-br/w

Collapse -

by KSTV In reply to 10 to 100mbps upgrade. CA ...

I need a documentation to show the cable folks that we really need all eight wires..

Collapse -

by resmith In reply to 10 to 100mbps upgrade. CA ...

CAT 5 requires only two pair. Although I would still recommend leaving the others intact. The few extra minutes it takes to crimp those, would be nice if you have to resort to using the other pairs if for some reason the wire is sliced somewhere.Just my opinion...

Collapse -

by KSTV In reply to 10 to 100mbps upgrade. CA ...
Back to Web Development Forum
4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)