General discussion

100% processor-time

By George ·
Hi,
I seem to have a problem on a PC with W2K sp2 installed.
The processor indicates it?s working 100 % all the time.
I?ve checked all processes etc. but can?t seem to find a cause for this. Monitoring shows that the cache is always working for 100%.
Are there any of you that know this problem and have a solution?
TIA
George

The machine is a Compaq Deskpro EXD/P733 . And yes, the latest BIOS is installed.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

100% processor-time

by Seeker2000 In reply to 100% processor-time

need a little more info to work on this one,
what do you have running on it?
what's it tied into, domain, workgroup,
what kind of hardware is in it
Is all the hardware new or tested?
Has it been running before and just started doing this?

Collapse -

100% processor-time

by George In reply to 100% processor-time

Sorry, wrong place to comment, see above.

Collapse -

100% processor-time

Thanx for trying.
Running all kind of small office-software. Like MS Office 2000, cable-internet, NAV, Act!, Babylon. I've checked those, don't seem to bother.
It's the server in a peer-to-peer with one other notebook. The problem persists with network disabled.
A colorado tapestreamer and an external gadget to make it possible to use your phone to dial out with tapi, it dials the number in Act! for instance.
Nothing new, hard- or software, all tested, used to work smoothly.
It just started two weeks ago, the user says nothing althered. No reason not to believe him actually.
What's your shot?
George

Collapse -

100% processor-time

by eBob In reply to 100% processor-time

100% is not necessarily a problem. Do your apps keep running OK (sounds like 'yes')? Are there any 'real' problems?

Some apps and system services will use all of the CPU resources available, if they need it. When another app/service calls for CPU, this 'hog' will graciously relinquish some resources - no problem.

On the other hand, if your system is actually acting up, then you need to identify which app/service is acting up. Have a look at the "Processes" tab in Task Manager, and contactthe s/w vendor.

Collapse -

100% processor-time

That's what I did and that didn't help. No app or service is bothering. But sometimes an app like Outlook will take ages to start up, next time it's there in a swing.
Furthermore, two or three weeks ago there were no problems, everything worked fine. So, I can't be sure at that time it was also 100%. I never noticed it on any system. With taskmanager on it always is between 0 and 3% when the user is idle, some peaks of 80-100% but in seconds or minutes back to 0-3. It's really puzzling.

Back to Windows Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)