General discussion

100% Spyware free for 2 years and counting...

By NetLyte ·
I recently spoke to a friend of mine who said that she was tired of Spyware, Ads, what have you, attacking her desktops, and having to format the pc over and over every two months.

I explained to her how I stopped it on my pc. A long time ago, when the dark ages ruled, ok it was 2003, I let Spyware win. That's right, I let it take over my pc and fill my screen with nothing but popups, banners, ads. Then I wiped all of them out without losing any sensitive data. No it wasn't magic(I know cause I tried that too). I was on a different partition.

Most of you know that you can partition your hard drive for different os systems, different uses, and misc. Those who do not need to get their hands on the neighborhood techie, or just google "how to partition your computer". So I created a partition where I install any and all questionable applications, and other misc applications you know you shouldn't be installing anyways.

There is no way to 100% verify if a software application/webpage/webpage app will install spyware on your pc, and close to impossible to tell someone to check every single questionable application for spyware/malware/etx. With a different partition you can install all the applications you want, even the ones with spyware, to get your work done or surf, or whatever. You can also have more then two partitions if you need it, games, media, backup, spyware etx.
And if you start seeing a lot of ads on that partition then just wipe or reinstall your OS on that spyware partition.

Once partitioned just restart your pc and select the partition you want. It really is as simple as that. You have one partition where you can install all the applications you want, and the other where you log in, check email, buy stuff, music, online without worrying about spyware taking up your screen. But there are a few things you need to watch out for.

1) On your spyware partition(Partition B), never log in to your main/personal/private email account, create a separate account for email, but do not log in to an account that includes your private info, or any account that requires you to type your password.
2) Never buy anything on your Partition B, this is kind of like the first part, except in this case it also includes private information, like credit cards, ss#, and other information that you dont want a spyware knowing(unless you really like that one particular spyware that's been eyeing you).
3) Always remember that when you are on this partition that you should treat it as if someone is spying on you. Spyware --- Spying on you, get it(nevermind).
4) If you can try to keep parition B free from viruses, spyware, make sure you have a firewall, and if none of that works you can always format it because your main / sensitive data is not located on this partition.
5) Remember this only works if you install suspicious applications, webpage components, misc on the spyware partition. You can share data between the two partitions, but try to scan it for viruses with an up-to-date virus scanner before you do.
6) If you really really want to stop spyware, buy another pc. Use one pc for installing application that you trust, and the second pc for when you're not sure.

This can also work by keeping your email free of viruses, spam, and other annoying emails. Create an email account for personal/family/ecommerce sites, and another email account for sites that you dont trust.

Does it work? The partition I'm on right now hasn't seen a SINGLE ad/popup in almost 2 Years.

Enjoy.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

23 total posts (Page 1 of 3)   01 | 02 | 03   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

ugh

by apotheon In reply to 100% Spyware free for 2 y ...

These days, I couldn't imagine wanting to do something like that.

I just run a user environment that isn't really vulnerable to all that crap. I have a couple email addresses that are my spam-magnets, and others that aren't, but I don't set up multiple OS installs with some for "secure" and "stable", and others for "hosed".

You said "There is no way to 100% verify if a software application/webpage/webpage app will install spyware on your pc" and I'm here to tell you you're wrong. There is a way. You do it by reading the source code.

If you can't, you might be using the wrong software.

If you don't have the time . . . well, I sympathize, but it doesn't change the factual accuracy of my statement that there is a way to do it. Luckily, with the number of other people reading source code to determine its relative security, I don't have to read all application source code to be reasonably sure that the software I run is all free of spyware and adware. That's one of the beauties of open source software.

I, too, am 100% spyware free, and not just on designated partitions: on ALL partitions of all computers I run. Even if I find myself running a closed-source system here again at some point, I think I'll be able to keep it spyware free, because I'll avoid using it for any activities that might collect spyware (such as touching the Internet). Where software with closed source is concerned, I tend to subscribe to the old saw that "only an unplugged computer is a truly secure computer".

Collapse -

Not true...

by NetLyte In reply to ugh

I completely disagree, but then again that's not new, seeing as how this is a discussion form.

But this time I have a good reason. I say this because I can't imagine going through lines and lines of source code everytime I want to install an application.

I would rather spend the 1 to 2 hours that it takes out of 2 years to set up a partition and never have to worry about rouge applications.

But you know what if reading source code works for you, then more power to you because from the look of things it doesn't look like spyware's going to go away anytime soon. How many source code lines are you planning on reading before you actually think of this idea with an open mind.

I've even read in articles that more and more companies already are or thinking about advertising through spyware apps.

As for Ludicrouss reply, I'm not going to wait until each software provides disclosure form from vendors and web sites because even the ones that do include their disclosures write in a legal format that not everyone can understand. That's the sole purpose. To make it harder on you to decipher their "full disclosure", and get you to click on the I Agree button.

As I said earlier It's actually the opposite, spyware has gained so much power that real companies are considering advertising through spyware companies.

As for having multiple partitions being much more to manage, no. It isn't. It's easy, and it's getting easier and easier. Plus you dont have to be an engineer to be able to fix problems for users. If a user is smart enough, as you mentioned to pay for and then install some sort of antispyware then they can create a partition just as easily.

Best of Luck on staying spyware free.

Later.

Collapse -

So don't read the source code.

by apotheon In reply to Not true...

Check again what I said.

I said that it is possible to be 100% sure by reading the source code for everything you install. I didn't say that's what I do. That would be prohibitively time-consuming.

Check again what I said about trusting in the statistical likelihoods provided by the hundreds, or even thousands, of other people reading through source code of what I use -- people who aren't paid by a software vendor and prohibited from telling anyone except the boss when something untoward is found.

Collapse -

Edited your own previous post...

by NetLyte In reply to So don't read the source ...

Check again what you said. Now my question is are you on crack. You don't think the readers on this post noticed that you edited your post so that you could say "Chekc again what I said". hahahahah.

No what you had written on there was different earlier.

So your edited post now says that using hundreds or even thousands of other people reading through source code. That may well be, but can you trust every single one of those people. How do you know that one of them is not a spyware creator.

This doesn't mean that reading code isn't effective, but doing a different partition gives ME the choice and freedom to not worry on relying on others to make sure that the application is free of malware and misc.

I'll stick with my partitions and for the sake of all those who use opensource everywhere I hope you don't ever find yourself in a situation where someone may have knowingly installed or allowed spyware to get through opensource.

later.

Collapse -

paranoid and stupid

by apotheon In reply to Edited your own previous ...

Do you know how to count? Two comes before three. I posted my message about going back to check what I had previously posted on the third of the month. I edited a typo in my previous post on the second of the month. Unless you credit me with being able to travel back in time to edit the post before I decided it needed to be edited, you're way out in left field and possibly need your head checked by a professional.

In point of fact, it said all that in the first place, before you posted a response. Moron.

I don't have to trust every single one of the people who has looked at the source code, dumbass. I just have to trust that of the hundreds or thousands who might have looked at the source code of one application, at least some of them are honest and diligent enough to tell someone about what they've seen. In fact, you'd be "lucky" to find as much as a single percentage point of people with any vested interest in keeping vulnerabilities in the source code. Are you too blind to see that there's no benefit in not reporting a problem for most people? I'd rather have secure software than software that has trojan-like vulnerabilities being used by someone else. If one of those people reading the source code is a spyware creator, I'm pretty sure he doesn't have the hundreds of thousands of dollars necessary to bribe all the rest of them, to say nothing of the fact that some just wouldn't be bribable.

You clearly have zero understanding of how the open source development model works. None. Period. Jackass.

I wouldn't be nearly this harsh on you if you hadn't just tried to paint me as some kind of deceptive manipulator of text for purposes of lying to "win" some imaginary damned contest with you, ya simpering, willfully ignorant, unregenerate nematode. **** off.

NOTE: I just edited a typo, removing an extraneous letter S from a word, shitheel. Don't later try to claim that on the eighth of January I came back here to the second of December to edit this thing for some obscure reason. Nincompoop.

Collapse -

ludicrous

by richard In reply to 100% Spyware free for 2 y ...

nothing personal, but you must be somoking something. I don't have popups and spyware. I feel for those who aren't technical enough to handle the challenge and can not pay to have it done. The cost is a real burden to an individual and I don't see a knowledgeable engineer wanting to spend his time on such problems for a price most of us want to pay.
What will happen if poor souls listen to this advice is that they will have even more to manage and have an even bigger mess.
That is why we need to require full disclosure from software vendors and web sites. No one has the right to do what they want to your computer and we need to enforce it. If we fine the enough to bring the to the brink of bankruptcy and remove all financial gain, the problem will become much smaller. To Aphotheon I say, you are correct, but I don't thenk that everyone who wants to use a computer should have to learn code. Most who drive a car can't fix it, even many who think they can :-).
The fact is we have a desktop OS monopoly by a very shoddy corporation using a very poor architecture. The last thing I would ever do is connect a windows computer directly to the internet, the next to last thing is a special one or special install to let others distroy and consume my time and resources.

Collapse -

How about holding MS to a higher level?

by jmgarvin In reply to 100% Spyware free for 2 y ...

Rather than take the approach that the USER is doing something wrong, why not take the approach that MS is doing something wrong by not creating a secure OS.

Sure, I can spend MY time securing an OS that should have been secured by the manufacturer.

Until MS is hold accountable for their POS (and that doesn't mean point of sale folks), then we will keep getting the same ol' run around.

Collapse -

Not Just MS

by NetLyte In reply to How about holding MS to a ...

It's true that MS holds some of responsibility for not creating a secure OS but there's only so much that an operating system can do for security.

If a user decides to install an application that contains spyware then it's not that easy for OS to figure that hey this is not secure, because the OS will treat it just like any other ordinary application.

The main way that I see is if the companies that advertise using malware / spyware apps are held accountable for their actions. But that's not easy either, they can always deny it, and then again a spyware creator can create an ad claiming to be for a company just to tarnish their corporate image.

There are some good signs such as the new IE 7, which goes a step further then previous versions in identifying harmful websites, and also their acquisition of GIANT company which created AntiSpyware, currently free beta version from Microsoft. It was good at removing a majority of spyware / adware apps and it will be released, as Shield or some other name from MS.

Collapse -

They also

by Tony Hopkinson In reply to Not Just MS

acquired an adware company. Course they only did that to investigate how adware works.

Oh look a flying pig

IE7 is still integrated into the OS, MS is still welded to client side execution of foreign code and there is still no partitioning of user vs kernel space in windows. Another unfortunate combination that suggests to me IE7 will end up where IE6 is now, never explicitly run on my PCs.
Adding tabbed browsing and integrating windows security software which is p1ss poor anyway, does n't do anything for me.

Collapse -

I don't completely agree

by halibut In reply to How about holding MS to a ...

We can blame MS for the insecure OS but if the spyware company wanted to they could spend the time to create a linux version, but the majority of Linux users know what they are doing, where the majority of windows users don't.

I can just imagine as Linux vendors make the desktop OS more and more stupified and popular for the regular user, spyware, malware will increase. Especially with vendors like Linspire that give the user Root access.

The other issue will be with the modular kernel that linux has, the malicious software could much more deadly. Installing a rootkit or adding a kernel kit where Winblows doesn't have that issue.

The point I am trying to make here is that if the user of the system doesn't click the ad that gives us a "free iPod" over half of the spyware wouldn't be an issue.

BTW I have been 98% spyware free for a number of years now. (I have kids so education is vital to keeping that number so high) So I keep programs like spybot S&amp installed to assist in keeping the tracking cookies and the like down to a minimum.

my $.02 CDN

Back to IT Employment Forum
23 total posts (Page 1 of 3)   01 | 02 | 03   Next