General discussion

$10,000 pay cut continued

By rschmid ·
Tags: Off Topic
I know its been a few months since this discussion opened. Just going through some of the old posts and wanted to revisit this.

The plant manager that WAS here at the time was transferred to the Corporate location in another state. The Incoming plant manager started at this location as a superintendent promoted to plant manager at another (different plant) location. At the time all of this happened it was explained to me the it would NOT affect my yearly increase on my anniversary date. Long story short it did. IE no raise. Few months later I was out of the state and a cable failed
(happened to be the line to the wan router). An overzealous cleaning crew came in and was a tad rough with the cabling. 5 different people from management and maintenance tried to resolve the issue with no success. I of course was called ( on vacation on a weekend no less) came in on a Sunday night and in 20 minutes resolved the issue.
That prompted another round of raise requests. all were denied since I "make to much money" compared to others in my position with the company. There were a few things they missed in that evaluation. All my counter parts have less then 4 years with the company (I'll have 7 in Feb.) They all call me when they cannot get a solution from the corporate IT department. Now I am again wondering if my yearly increase will be in Jan or in March since reportedly my anniversary date was changed with the salary change from the previous post. Otherwise this pay cut will last 15 months instead of 12. Looking around at sites like Salary.com shows that I'm still underpaid by 15K to the minimum side of the curve.

What a wonderful world.

Merry Christmas indeed!!!

Semper Fi

Ray

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

I was in the same boat

by SlappyMcnasty In reply to $10,000 pay cut continued

I started a new gig in August 2002. I accepted a salary about 6k less that my stated minimum and closer to 12k industry standard. 4 years of crappy raisies later I did the math. Conservatively I lost 50k of probable income compared to industry norms. I didn't really want to leave that much, but finally had to face the facts.
Every year they string you along with "a promotion is coming", "there are changes in salary grades coming", or "next year we'll take care of it".
Companies want to pay as little as possible to keep you. You have three choices. keep quiet and gain nothing, complain and maybe be heard or walk. I chose to walk.
Sure I have some regret, but if I start feeling too much self pity, I check my bank account.

Collapse -

That's the only real answer

by stress junkie In reply to I was in the same boat

There is no point in staying in a bad job and whining about it. If you can't negotiate the terms that you want with your current employer then you find another job. End of story.

Collapse -

Continuity

by mjd420nova In reply to $10,000 pay cut continued

I know it's a lousy job but someones gotta do it, even at 3AM. Because they count on you and you are happy, they're happy. Document performance so you can show them your accomplishments, then they can't refuse the raise. I also found it easier if you've just finished some training or certification. If you're not satisfied let them know and when push comes to shove, take all your vacation and sick time at once to let them get used to you being gone before they really have to put that final offer on the table. Best thing is you get some time off.

Collapse -

And they...

by jpenrose In reply to Continuity

...learn how to work without you.

-J-

Collapse -

Ineresting tid bit on continuity

by rschmid In reply to Continuity

Just as an example,

On November 27th I had surgery on my right shoulder. I was out for three days from it. I had 17 calls 7 of which were the day of the surgery. These were calls on how to change a password (they had already been doing it for 6 months) and such like that. I was relieved that it was not any major piece of equipment (I work in a manufacturing plant) every time I answered the phone.

Back to After Hours Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)