General discussion

1053: Win2k Servr fail to start services

By gops_bah1 ·
Hi,

I have a Windows2000 server with service pack 3.
The problem is now server is not starting any services which is already 'Manual' or 'Disabled'.
When i try to make the services automatic , the console is hanging. But if want to start any serice manully, it will try to load and give an error message

"Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion".

I tied to install service pack 4 to solve the issue. But unfortunately Windows installer service is somehow selected as manual. so that is also possible. I tried restarting the server couple of times. Whatever services are selected as automatic is starting at startup without any problems.

Now i am not able to install any programs in the server coz installer service is down.

I will be very gratefull if anybody can help me to solve this issue.

regards
Gopakumar

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by p.j.hutchison In reply to 1053: Win2k Servr fail to ...

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/community/centers/management/msi_faq.mspx

Collapse -

by gops_bah1 In reply to

Poster rated this answer.
this problem is not with installer serivice, any serivces i can't start or stop. not only installer.

Collapse -

by sgt_shultz In reply to 1053: Win2k Servr fail to ...

the event source is?
how is your virus protection.
that is one i've never heard of myself...
disable the administrator or system accounts lately or mess with their permissions?

Collapse -

by sgt_shultz In reply to

or did you change or disable permissions on the Everyone group...
here is a snippet from mskb support.microsoft.com
ensure that the appropriate groups are listed in the "Access this Computer from the Network" permission. You can find this permission in the following folder:
Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies\User Rights Assignment
The following groups have the "Access this Computer from the Network" permission on domain controllers by default:
Administrators
Authenticated Users
Everyone
NOTE: Include the Everyone group in the list of groups because certain operations involve accounts that may not have been authenticated to the domain yet. Examples of these operations include when a user changes an expired password at logon, or when a user in a trusting domain needs to anonymously enumerate users and groups to apply Access Control Lists (ACLs) in the trusting domain (for Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 or inter-forest trusts).

Collapse -

by andrew.gough In reply to 1053: Win2k Servr fail to ...

You can download sp4 from here:

http://tinyurl.com/fd26

Specifically, this should be fixed in sp1 for .NET however, downloadable from here:

http://tinyurl.com/c38ap

HTH

Collapse -

by gops_bah1 In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by GERX1 In reply to 1053: Win2k Servr fail to ...

Hi
I am experiencing the same problem with Windows Server 2003. I noticed first that ntbackup was not running. when trying to install updates it would hang-checked the installer service and it is the same as yours. However it also applies to all servioces not set to automatic. My question is this have you resolved your issue. I've tried a number of things, including re-enabling the service from the command prompt but nothing happens. Please let me know what you did to resolve issue if it is ok now. Thanks a milllion. Rgds G

Collapse -

by gops_bah1 In reply to 1053: Win2k Servr fail to ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)