Question

• Creator
    Topic

1080 ti crashing under load but not during benchmarks

by calvinjcampbell ·

Tags: 

Hi there,

A few months ago I upgraded to a GTX 1080 ti (considered used but acceptable by the seller) for work and personal purposes.

I have since had a couple issues with it, not least recently, which I’ll detail here:

Under load during games (my usual testing game is the Long Dark) the graphics card crashes. I still get audio feedback from the game in the background, and can move and access menus. When this happens, MSIafterburner and HWinfo show a sharp decrease in activity (about 1%).

I also get artifacting sometimes, typically before a crash.
    I was also getting BSOD, but this has been fixed by BIOs updates in all relevant cases

My specs are as follows:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor, 3600 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)
    Motherboard: X470 GAMING PLUS MAX (MS-7B79)
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    RAM: Ballistix 16gb 3600 mhz DDR4 (x2)
    PSU: XPG CORE Reactor 750Watt 80 Plus Gold Certified Fully Modular Power Supply (COREREACTOR750G-BKCUS)

I have attempted:
    Reinstalling windows (which appeared to work for about a week – though this was to fix the BSOD issues (Which it didn’t even do))
    Uninstalling and reinstalling the most recent (3080 game ready) drivers
    Fully uninstalling ALL drivers and reinstalling relevant ones
    Uninstalling PhysX (which I then reinstalled after the crashing continued)
    Fully uninstalling ALL drivers and rolling back to an earlier set
    Run benchmarks on GPU using Furmark and Heaven Benchmark 4.0 (Heaven did crash once, but only because I plugged in my wireless headset during the benchmark – on subsequent attempts it did occasionally drop frames).
    Monitored temps during tests (which remained within suitable levels)
    Literally upgraded my PSU from a bronze rates 750 W to a gold rated
    Ran CPU and memory benchmarks using aida64EXTREME (no errors I could see)
    Updated BIOS on my old motherboard
    Literally replaced the entire motherboard
    Updated BIOS on a new motherboard (to attempt to see if it was a fault with the single PCIe I had on my old motherboard)
    Checked BIOS for overclock profiles (none existed)
    Ran memtest x86 on both my RAM sticks (no fails or errors)
    Run BenchmarkTest on entire setup (regular functioning across the board)
    Underclocking using MSI afterburner
    Increasing core voltage to my graphics card
    Reseating the graphics card
    Rolled back windows updates
    Monitored temperatures pre-crash (regular, 50 c temp)

All Answers

• Author
    Replies

Given all the work with drivers and OS.

by rproffitt ·

In reply to 1080 ti crashing under load but not during benchmarks

I’ll write the problem is not the OS or drivers.

Frankly I’d return the card, get your money back and keep shopping as the 1080 is old enough to start seeing failures. I’ll share we are seeing the 10×0 models fail now.

Can’t or won’t do that? Tear the GPU down to replace the heatsink compound. DO NOT replace pads or such but let’s just do the GPU chip first.

Once in a while this cures it. Be sure the GPU fans work like new. DO NOT WRITE “The temperature is…” as it doesn’t matter since you have proven that already. It’s time to either kick the card back or try the usual.

Bad news? I have not found any reliable repair services for graphic cards. Once they go, they are gone.

There’s likely a very good reason they sold it. Some get into denial here.

Viewing 0 reply threads