General discussion

10Base or 100Base?

By Mystery Roach ·
How do I determine if my network is a 10Base or
100Base? I am fairly sure it is 10base but
is there a way I can be sure?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

12 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

10Base or 100Base?

by -Q-240248 In reply to 10Base or 100Base?

Several ways: Look at the switches/hubs, look on the back of the Network INterface Card, it'll usaually have a 10/100 indicator.

Collapse -

10Base or 100Base?

by Mystery Roach In reply to 10Base or 100Base?

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

10Base or 100Base?

The 10Base indicator is lit on the clients and
on one of the servers but one server has the
100Base indicator lit and the hub has several
of the 100Base indicators lit.

Collapse -

10Base or 100Base?

by michael In reply to 10Base or 100Base?

The easiest way to tell is to look at the indicator lights on the hub. It sounds like you have a mixed 10 & 100baseT environment. You'll get 100baseT performance only between the 100baseT servers/workstations. A connection is only as fast as the slowest link between communicating devices--however, by making sure the servers and highest bandwidth workstations have the 100baseT connections, you can get better performance from your LAN. I'm way over-simplifying here, but the idea is that a 10baseT device can handle only traffic up to 10MBps (or 1 10baseT connection), but a 100baseT device could communicate with 10 simultaneous 10baseT connections--hence the most accessed devices (bandwidth-wise) are the best places for your 100baseT connections.

Collapse -

10Base or 100Base?

Collapse -

10Base or 100Base?

by rbratton In reply to 10Base or 100Base?

If you have manageable switches/hubs, you can use the management tools (e.g. console port or in-band/telnet) to look at each port's configuration.

I have found that is is advisable to lock in ports that are connected to servers both on the switch/hub and on the server to a particular speed (10/100) and duplex setting (full/half).

Collapse -

10Base or 100Base?

Collapse -

10Base or 100Base?

by tbradley In reply to 10Base or 100Base?

You have a autosense 10/100 hub, and a mix of Network Cards. The way to check the Clients is to run a program called winipcfg. It will tell you type, flavor, and speed of the NIC.

If this is a small network, it is really nothing to be concernedwith, except to make sure your server is at 100mps if capable.

Collapse -

10Base or 100Base?

Collapse -

10Base or 100Base?

by turco.ar In reply to 10Base or 100Base?

An indirect approach (and not only solve only your question), is try 3Com Trascend Network Supervisor. This software is FREE
(http://www.3com.com/tns) and enables you to build a map of your network, so you can identify the devices on your network, and see how they are connected. With this map, you can monitor devices and links, using Network Supervisor to watch your network for you. It allows you to view and manage your network from a single computer even if you do not have previous network management experience.

Back to Networks Forum
12 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next