General discussion

123 macro works in Ofc97, not in Ofc2K

By SteveH0039 ·
One of our users has a spreadsheet that was originally written in 1-2-3 and we were able to get it to work just fine in Office 97. Now, however, we upgraded to Office 2000 and when he opens the file (now a .xls), the macro doesn't exist. The only advice we've received so far is to write a macro from scratch to replace the old one. Does anyone have a better idea? A different migration path or 3rd-party software?
TIA.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by awilliams3 In reply to 123 macro works in Ofc97, ...

Straight from the horses mouth...

My Lotus 1-2-3 or Quattro Pro macros don't run in Microsoft Excel
http://support.microsoft.com/support/Office/InProdHlp/Excel/xltbcNoLMIMacros.asp?LN=EN-US&SD=gn&FR=0

Excel 2000 will NOT run Lotus 1-2-3 macros as it is no longer a supported feature as of this release. One reason I heard down the pipeline is to further reduce the risk of macro viruses being introduced.

Furher info...

XL2000: Macro Compatibility with Microsoft Excel
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q258/4/27.ASP?LN=EN-US&SD=gn&FR=0

Collapse -

by SteveH0039 In reply to 123 macro works in Ofc97, ...

Thanks, I should have stated that the advice we received was from Microsoft. I was hoping (still am) that there is a workaround using 3rd party software or converting to A, then B, then C, then Office 2K - soprt of thing.

Collapse -

by awilliams3 In reply to 123 macro works in Ofc97, ...

There are no converters for such a task. Microsoft attempted to do so back with Excel 5.0 (until 5.0c). They actually shipped a macro converter add-in. The converter only attempted to convert Lotus 1-2-3 macros to the native Microsoft Excel MacroLanguage (XLM) and not to VBA. The result was disastrous.

The add-in did not do well, plus many time it would simply hang Windows. So with version 5.0c they simply stopped bothering and no one else has offered a converter since.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Software Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)