General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

162 System options not set

by bwells47 ·

I am working on a presario 7200. Went to the website, and checked how to get into bios, after trying a few of the good old standards. It said it should enter bios, by f2 or f10. Upon further investigation, by typing in the exact model #, it said f10 would do it. Wrong. It goes through the memory check, and if I try pushing f10 continuesly, if comes up with a keyboard error message. If I wait till the mem check is over, and try-nothing happens, but the error message.

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

Reply To: 162 System options not set

by dmiles ·

In reply to 162 System options not set

This is a little confusing,when the computer starts up,you should press the designated key to enter bios setup,if you wait to long,then you are causing the system to bypass the function.

Remember to press the key when startup screen appears.

by bwells47 ·

Of course I have tried that. I’ve held down the key before, during, and after. (At all different times, trying to catch the right time.) I’ve tried pushing the button up and down several times while it is trying to boot. By the time the screen comes up with the “Compaq Pesario” Logo, it has already started the memory count. I pulled the battery, to reset the bios, (I guess expecting that to cause some miracle to happen.)
      Is my timing just off? or am I having an off day?
      I’ve never had a hard time getting into any other bios, even if I don’t know the key for a fact. I just try them all, and wind up getting in. It’s been one of those weeks…………………

by stress junkie ·

Try pressing the key.

Don’t press it too many times. Press. Wait two seconds. Press again.

There was a time when every computer maker had their own magic key combination to get into the BIOS. Thinking back to those days you might try the key.

by jercro ·

I’m having the same problem with a Compaq Presario 5152. It just refuses to let me access the bios/cmos. Again, Compaq says use the F10 key, but that does not allow access. It just runs the memory check and gives the Error 162 – System Options not set.
      Any ideas out there??

by bwells47 ·

This question was closed by the author

Viewing 4 reply threads