Question

192 address on a 10 network?

By Cudmasters Los ·
i have a cisco router that is a 10. network, when using wire shark i see a 192.168.254.255 for nbns address, and a 192.168.1.19 address for tcp protocol, i don't even have an address in the gateway on my computer, testing purposes. i try to access it through the ie address bar, but just comes up with a google page. can someone help me with this, thanks.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

A bit more detail is needed here...

What configuration do you want?
What configuration are you looking for?
Have you tried resetting the network (switch on/off)?
Have you rebooted your computer(s)?

Collapse -

"i don't even have an address in the gateway on my computer"

by seanferd In reply to 192 address on a 10 netwo ...

I'd be surprised that you could connect to anything, then.

So, if the router is set up as a 10/8, what has 192.168/16 addresses? Is it statically configured somewhere in the network? Since APIPA addresses are 169.254/16, it can't be Windows self-assigning a link-local address.

Collapse -

192 address

by jstravers In reply to 192 address on a 10 netwo ...

Are you running a virtual machine on your computer? These will open assign 192.168.x.x. addresses to a virtual networking adaptor. Use ipconfig /all at the command line to see what addresses are assigned to your computer

Collapse -

To answer your question

by robo_dev In reply to 192 address on a 10 netwo ...

No, I don't think we can help you with this.

If you have a LAN defined, all devices on the subnet need to have IP addresses that are in that same subnet.

Wireshark can see ALL network traffic, including misconfigured devices that have the wrong subnet defined. It sounds like your router, PC, and/or other devices on your network are mis-configured in a big way.

Is this a new network that is being configured or are you simply trying to connect your workstation to an existing network?

If this is a new network, it would be a good exercise to connect your Cisco router via it's serial console cable and configure the IP and network settings before trying to connect via Ethernet with your PC.

Collapse -

Need a lot more info

by IcebergTitanic In reply to 192 address on a 10 netwo ...

In order to answer your question, you'll need to provide a lot more information...

- What is your actual LAN IP subnet? Are your computers in 192.168.1.0 / 24?
- What is this router? Is it new? Is it existing?

If you can get on the internet, then you have a default gateway of some sort. Otherwise your computer would not know where to send traffic that did not match its local LAN subnet.
- If it's on a flat LAN, you can in theory set your IP address to match the device you want to talk to the router. In other words, if the router is 10.10.1.1 /24 then you should be able to temporarily set your own machine's IP to 10.10.1.222 for example and talk to the router

Back to Networks Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)