Question

• Creator
    Topic

1gb ram says 512

by jaydoe1 ·

Hi ive just upgraded my whole pc and have a k8t neo2 f v2 motherboard 4000 + amd and just recieve my new 2x1gb ddr 400 and I have installed it but its only showing as there was 1 gb in . I have taken 1 stick out and its saying there only 512 but there dual sided and the motherboard is running in dual channel .. any ideas and help would be apreciated as im puzzled now

All Answers

• Author
    Replies

Clarifications

by jaydoe1 ·

In reply to 1gb ram says 512

Clarifications

double check the RAM

by thumbsup2 ·

In reply to 1gb ram says 512

The fact the memory is dual sided has nothing to do with the amount of RAM on it. I could show you some old 512KB, 1MB, 32MB, etc… RAM that was double sided. You have to read the stencil on the stick, if there is one, to determine what size it is.

Short of a stencil on the stick, you can look at the packaging the RAM came in to make sure they sent you 2x1GB and not 2x512MB sticks. And, even then, if the package says it’s 1GB sticks and they size out to 512MB, that’s usually a good indication of mis-packaged sticks or it’s just plain BAD.

Also, your motherboard has BIOS to tweek the RAM. Here’s what I found about it:

The K8T Neo2-F v2.0 provides 2 DIMM sockets using 184-pin DDR with a total capacity of up to 2GB. You can install DDR 266/333/400MHz Memory. (Due to the High Performance Memory design, motherboards or system configurations may or may not operate smoothly at the JEDEC (Joint Electron Device Engineering Council) standard settings (BIOS Default on the motherboard) such as DDR voltage, memory speeds and memory timing. Please confirm and adjust your memory setting in the BIOS accordingly for better system stability.)

Have you been into the BIOS to see what it says in there? Did you change something that might make the RAM not be recognized correctly?

Viewing 1 reply thread