General discussion

1xNetscape6 = 225 MB RAM

By steve.doig ·
Hi Folks,

Just had a bad xp with MSN Explorer, MSN email, and NN6. NN6 has wormed its way to default browser status on my win2K machine, and MSN Messenger auto signs in upon Internet connection.

I get a popup "Monique has just sent you an email...". I click on this hypertext and get a windows dialog "Windows cannot complete this operation because you do no have a default browser installed." Press okay, however NN6 is launching in the background. (as happens when opening jpgs etc fromexplorer)

My hard drive is revving to the max and al my apps slow, I figure it's just a slight compatibility problem between msn mail and NN6; perhaps NN6 is loading java or something.

Task manager reveals the single instance of NN6 using about 230MB and 60-95% CPU, and not responding (and hasn't since loading). I let it run for 2 minutes and check again, down to 40 MB, otherwise same.

I get back into habit of alt+tabbing alot, and lo-and-behold, windows freezes. The rhythm of the hard drive slow down (as RAM gets chewed up...?) and I have to reboot.

Aside from default browser issues, any summary to be made here?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

1xNetscape6 = 225 MB RAM

by mikeg9242 In reply to 1xNetscape6 = 225 MB RAM

Sounds like to many programs loading at starup no matter how much ram you have your resources get low if too many tsr programs load at startup.
run msconfig on the run command line and select startup section and uncheck like msn messenger and many others you do not need and set netscape as your default browser if that is what you use the most.

Collapse -

1xNetscape6 = 225 MB RAM

by steve.doig In reply to 1xNetscape6 = 225 MB RAM

I have 320 MB of RAM and not many startup programs...

Collapse -

1xNetscape6 = 225 MB RAM

by phil.hall In reply to 1xNetscape6 = 225 MB RAM

First thing: NN6 is pretty messed up unless you have the absolutely newest version. I'd uninstall NN6 and then do the folowing.

Install the newest version of Internet Explorer. Remember, IE is not just a web browser, MS likes to use it as a "service pack" of sorts. By installing IE you'll get the majority of the newest DLLs, which could fix a lot of the memory problems you're expiencing and it will set IE as the default browser.

Then Install NN6 (Newest version)
by launching NN6 you can set it to the default when it promts you after you launch it for the first time.

Collapse -

1xNetscape6 = 225 MB RAM

I have IE 6 installed (in win2k pro)and I'm about to install NN6.1 (previously 6.01). I'm pretty happy with IE 6...

Cheers

Collapse -

1xNetscape6 = 225 MB RAM

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)