Question

2.0 GHz Turion 64 MK-36 vs. 1.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo T5500

By jeremy ·
Which of these processors (2.0GHz Turion 64 MK-36 or 1.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo T5500) would perform better overall? Are there some tasks at which one would beat the other?

I'm looking at two identical laptops, with the only difference being those chips and their corresponding chipsets/mobos. Assuming one is better than the other, how much extra do you think it is worth paying for it?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

This one is your call

by HAL 9000 Moderator In reply to 2.0 GHz Turion 64 MK-36 v ...

It all depends what you want to do with the NB.

There are also other things that you need to take into account the M'Board Chip sets may play a major part in how well the system works and may affect it's over all speed. It also depends on the amount & configuration of RAM involved as the wrong configuration will slow a CPU down to 50% of it's possible speed and not enough RAM for the OS and applications that you are running will give you a bad user experience.

The Specs for the different CPU's are listed here the AMD Turion

http://tinyurl.com/624m9

The Intel Core 2 Duo

http://tinyurl.com/y3kl3x

In theory the Intel should be the faster of the 2 but as I've already mentioned there are other factors that come into play so that may cause the Intel not to perform to it's maximum capacity.

As far as price difference is concerned that depends on where in the world that you live and there is more involved than just the CPU type you need to look at the over all configuration of the NB one with a bigger HDD is going to cost more than one with a smaller HDD and if the monitors are different sizes there will be a massive difference in cost. Also if one has an LCD Monitor and the other has a TFT Monitor the one with the TFT Monitor will be more expensive as they just plain & simple cost more to buy.

You also need to consider the Warranty as the longer the guarantee that you get the more expensive it is to provide but it may prove a more cost effective tool if you have a major failure. Also what other accessories do you get with each system? The more that you get above the bare NB the bigger the price difference will be.

Col

Collapse -

More Info about these two NBs

by jeremy In reply to This one is your call

The full specs for the intel NB can be found here: http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Specifications-of-Acer-Aspire-14-1-Widescreen-Notebook-PC-5580-6432/sem/rpsm/oid/163503/rpem/ccd/productDetailSpecification.do#tabs
However, I can get it for $899 after a $100 rebate.

The specs for the AMD NB can be found here: http://cgi.ebay.com/Acer-Aspire-5050-3242-AMD-Turion-2-0GHz-100-GB-HDD-NEW_W0QQitemZ270075258966QQihZ017QQcategoryZ26266QQcmdZViewItem
This NB is at Walmart for a price of $599.

The memory speed is the same in both NBs. I do want the 2GB of ram, so that accounts for about 1-200 dollars in price difference, depending on whether there are two 512 dimms in the AMD NB or a single 1GB dimm. Is the Intel unit worth the 1-200 dollars extra, taking the RAM into account? At this point if you think it is better at all I'd probably take it. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

Collapse -

Well personally I would pick the Intel unit

by HAL 9000 Moderator In reply to More Info about these two ...

As I'm supposing that you are looking at buying it directly from a shop or Acer and you will have a Guarantee that may not be available with the unit on E Bay.

The only thing that isn't stated is the configuration of the RAM in the Intel Unit it just says 2 GIG expandable to 4 GIG which may mean only 1 X 2 Gig Stick which isn't the right way to run these CPU's as they are configured for Dual Chanel RAM so they work better with 2 RAM Sticks.

The seller on E-Bay wasn't sure about the optical drive either so that's a bit of a worry particularly if they brought 2 and are using one themselves. But if you can get a factory Warranty with it then it's a toss up between the two and depending on what you need each has it's advantages over the other.

As for is the Intel worth the difference the answer is most defiantly YES as the CPU is more expensive and with the larger amount of RAM that will also increase the price though no where near as much as what you would see in store prices as both of these are built by Big Makers who can just about dedicate to their suppliers what they pay for the items.

The only real difference between the 2 is that the Intel is Vista Upgradeable which means that come January 30 you can send M$ the cost of shipping out the Vista CD to you and you'll have the newest M$ OS available to use. I don't know if that's important to you though but it's available which is something that isn't with the AMD unit. I'm not sure what M$ is charging in the US for the shipping of Vista but here in AU they are looking somewhere around the $30.00 - $40.00 AU mark depending on who you listen to as at the last MS Partners meeting two different people quoted two different prices either $28.00 AU or $38.00 AU Acer may however be providing their own CD's which will be slipstreamed to have every Driver that their particular products have so you don't need to go looking for Vista Drivers.

As for the RAM the RRR in AU is $195.00 about $152.00 US for a 1 GIG Stick and there is nothing bigger so Acer will be paying much less for this. As for the CPU the RRR for the Intel is about $341.00 AU or about $265.89 and the AMD which will be a very ball park figure as I don't have that exact one listed on my Price Lists but something similar is $175.00 AU or about $136.43 US.

If you need a Card Reader the AMD has one which the Intel doesn't but if it was me personally I would go for the Intel as I think that it's better value for money and you have the advantage of knowing that you'll get the full guarantee and the possibility to go Vista if you want to. Though I would ask the seller just what the deal is about the Vista Upgrade if you have to pay MS or Acer for the DVD. I'd personally be inclined to buy the Vista option but not use it till I was happy with that OS as it's new there are bound to be some problems associated with it that will take time to work out.

Col

Back to Laptops Forum
4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)