General discussion

200 gig hard drive win2k server

By aknell ·
I have just Loaded win2k server, I have a 200 gig hard drive this and its not detecting at the full 200 gig, only 120 gig in disk manager.

I've updated the BOIS, removed and installed the drive in device manager, updated windows, I want to use this as a SAN on the network but getting frustrated with getting the full 200 to detect.

Oh and it does detect as 200 gig in the bois, mainboard is a asus P4S800 MX SE, celeron 2.6 ghz, 512 mg ram.

Any help much appreciated!!

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by fijired2 In reply to 200 gig hard drive win2k ...

Probably going in the wrong direction, but have had a read of this?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/303079/en-us

Good luck!

Collapse -

by aknell In reply to

Interesting read but didnt help, i have the drive partitioned as a 8 gig system partition and disk manager only detects the remaining hard drive as 120 gig, to partition when it should be 190 gig-ish. But thanks!!

Collapse -

by cmiller5400 In reply to 200 gig hard drive win2k ...

You must be on Win2k service pack 4 to see the full drive. Also, it should be formatted NTFS.

Collapse -

by aknell In reply to

I had already done both, sorry didnt put that in the explanation. But thanks for the advise.

Collapse -

by aknell In reply to 200 gig hard drive win2k ...

Win 2K is fully up to date, jumper settings on hard drive are all ok too.

Collapse -

by gary In reply to 200 gig hard drive win2k ...

I had exactly this problem adn the article below is the fix. Please note that a reboot is required after changing the registry value and you may need to reformat the disk.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=305098

Collapse -

by aknell In reply to

YOUR A STAR!!!!!!!!!!!! Spot on it fixed ti a charm, the only thing i cant format the whole disk, i have an 8 gig partition on it. Would that be a huge performance issue?? Once again many thanks for your help!

Collapse -

by aknell In reply to 200 gig hard drive win2k ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)