General discussion

2000 2003 DCs cannot establish trust

By chriswilds ·
Domain controllers in different forests have DNS, WINS, DHCP (one high, one low same subnet), configured. Attempting to establish trusts starting from either server always produces error "Domain controller cannot be contacted".
I've tried to verify the settings over and over. As they are assigned IP by my dhcp router I have reconfigured to static IP with no help there.
Wins and DHCP I've tried assigning the other Wins server on each, and DNS forwarding to the other, no help from either side. Ideas?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to 2000 2003 DCs cannot esta ...

humm 2 different domain forests and your trying to establish a trust relationship between the forests. First is are both running Active Directory in native mode. Universal security groups only work in Native mode and universal security groups are needed for cross forest authentication. Enterprise Admin rights are required. Domain level admin rights dont give you enough permission to in a multi domain multi forest enterprise setup.

Collapse -

by chriswilds In reply to 2000 2003 DCs cannot esta ...

Hmmm. They are both running Windows 2000 Native mode. That's 2000 Native on 2003 Server, note.

Trees/domains/forests <arg>. I have one 2003 Server that is the DomainController and is the whole ball-of-wax. And I have one 2000 Server DC which is the whole ball-of-wax. Should this be complex to set up? It's only two servers, and each are self-contained DC, Wins, Dhcp.

Collapse -

by BFilmFan In reply to 2000 2003 DCs cannot esta ...

Windows 2000 will not allow a forest to forest trust to be established. You will be forced to establish external one-way trusts between domains, just as you did with Windows NT.

Details here:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/all/techref/en-us/Default.asp?url=/Resources/Documentation/windowsserv/2003/all/techref/en-us/W2K3TR_trust_what.asp

Back to Windows Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)