General discussion

2000 DC & Exchange to 2003 DC & Exchange

By jasonprussell ·
Hello Everyone,

My organization is currently looking to migrate from a single server acting as a 2000 DC & Exchange server to another single server which will act as a 2003 DC & Exchange server. I've already built the new server with 2000 Server & Exchange. My question is, what is the best way to go about upgrading the new server from 2000 to 2003 and migrating my data from the old 2000 server to the new 2003 server.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

swing server method

by dw_ay In reply to 2000 DC & Exchange to 200 ...

Although you could do an in place upgrading but if something doesn't run well then there is a risk and need to restore back. The best and a secure method is using swing svr method, you will need to get another svr. here is the link http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;821896

Collapse -

Wrong application, buy some hardware.

by cybdiver In reply to 2000 DC & Exchange to 200 ...

Unless you are running SBS you really should not have your exchange on the same server as your DC.
It's just bad MoJo, or to use the term " All your eggs are in one basket".
First off get your data off your domain controller. Buy a portable USB drive if need be. My rule is never keep data on the same machine or drive you have your OS.
It's time for your employer to break open the piggy bank and realize his company is at risk.
The server goes down, he goes out.
You should really look around for some best practices or get yourself someone that knows how to build out a network. Hitting this site might give you some tips but it sounds like your in the danger zone.

Back to IT Employment Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)