General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

2000 NT Backup problems

by david__ ·

I need to setup a 2000 Server with NTbackup so that anyone can just change the tape every day and check a backup log, even if they get new tapes or use old tapes, all they have to do is change them and they work. I have gotten most of this to work,except for the backup log. I created a backup job with selected files and saved it. I used a batch file with the line “ntbackup backup “@c:\dailybackup.bks” /m normal /j “Daily Backup” /p “4mm DDS” /v:yes /rs:yes /hc:on /n “Daily Backup” /l:f /um”. In the event viewer and schedular log, both show that the backup is being performed, but when I open the gui ntbackup program there is no logs of the backup running. only if I manually start one it will show it. I need an easy way for someone to chech a log file of what was backed up. I have faught NTbackup several time, this is very important to get it resolved quickly.

TIA

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

2000 NT Backup problems

by it person ·

In reply to 2000 NT Backup problems

Have you tried view reports from the backup utility?

You can find the log files the user profile who run the backup at c:\Documents and settings\(User)\localsettings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows NT\NT backup\data.

You could grant read access to this folder to read the log files.

HTH

2000 NT Backup problems

by david__ ·

I have tried that. I have also looked in the directroy you refered to and no log files are being created.
        Thanks for the answer though.

2000 NT Backup problems

by beermonster ·

Hi,
      By default ntbackup will store it’s logs within the profile of the user running it, if you are running the batch job under the local system account it will not have a profile and the logging will fail. Use task scheduler (via the control panel) to schedule the job using an actual user account, which has a profile locally….

2000 NT Backup problems

by david__ ·

Thanks for the answer, it sounds logical. Unfortunatly it turns out that the backups are not running at all. It is giving me error that no available media to backup to. Any media I put in gets put into the “4mm DDS” media pool. So why doesn’t the/um switch work? What am I missing?
        Thanks

2000 NT Backup problems

by david__ ·

This question was closed by the author

Viewing 2 reply threads