General discussion

2000 pro will not connect to internet

By wordmaster1 ·
I just built a machine, Abit AX8 mb, AMD Athlon 64 3200. The lan is onboard. About a month ago I built two similar machines and everything worked great.

I installed 2000 pro sp3, all the mb software and drivers, everything works great except no internet. I am connected to DSL through Alltel with a Speedstream router and Netgear hub.

Two other computers, one with the same version of 2000 and another with dual boot 2000/98 are hooked up to the same hub and connect fine.

In network, have client for MS networks, file and printer sharing for MS networks, and TCP/IP set up with the proper network adapter showing up. I have uninstalled and reinstalled all of these.

Settings for everything are the same as the two computers that are working. I have Zone Alarm Pro and have tried all settings and have disabled it so that it does not start up at all.

I have tried starting IE and typing in 192.168.254.254 which will take me to router admin on the other computers. Get "page not found" and "no internet connection". Same as with any web site I try to go to.

Have tried different cable from hub to machine, have tried powering hub and router up and down, have checked bios for anything that might have a bearing or did not look right.

Everything shows to be OK in device manager and other places. No conflicts.

Any and all help greatly appreciated. Thank you.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

11 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to 2000 pro will not connect ...

install SP4 if you can then run from the command prompt ipconfig/release. Once you release the NIC, next at the command prompt type ipconfig/renew. then type ipconfig/all. you should have and address that is on the same subnet as the router 192.168.254.XXX. if you have a 169.XXX.XXX.XXX address your NIC is not releasing the self assigned IP and receiving an address from your router. rerun the ipconfig/release ipconfig/renew.

Collapse -

by wordmaster1 In reply to

The others connect fine with SP3. Tried your suggestions, but when I ran ipconfig/renew, I just got a dos box with "Windows 2000 IP configuration" showing and a blinking cursor underneath. It appears to find nothing to renew. You may be on the right track, but more info is needed.

Collapse -

by ewgny In reply to 2000 pro will not connect ...

If you have a spare NIC around, stick it in to help determine if it's a defective onboard NIC.
I've had bad onboard NICs before. I hate integrated crap, but it seems like all MB Companies integrate NICs now. They determined that it's in our best intrest.

Collapse -

by ewgny In reply to

Also check with Abit to see what diagnostic software to run to check out the onboard NIC

Collapse -

I found the problem. As mentioned, I have Zone Alarm. I had disabled it by stopping it from starting up when the machine boots. There was no indication that it was running and I thought I was successful.

However, I finally, running out of stuff to try, uninstalled it. I immediately got a connection. After re-installing Zone Alarm everything still works fine so it was some anomoly in the ZA setup. Thank you for your advice, good advice, just not the answer in this case.

Collapse -

I found the problem. As mentioned, I have Zone Alarm. I had disabled it by stopping it from starting up when the machine boots. There was no indication that it was running and I thought I was successful.

However, I finally, running out of stuff to try, uninstalled it. I immediately got a connection. After re-installing Zone Alarm everything still works fine so it was some anomoly in the ZA setup. Thank you for your advice, good advice, just not the answer in this case.

Collapse -

by Craig321 In reply to 2000 pro will not connect ...

If you cannot ping loopback, then you either have a bad NIC driver or you will need a new NIC.

Collapse -

Collapse -

Collapse -

by wordmaster1 In reply to 2000 pro will not connect ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
11 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next