General discussion

2000 Server Native Backup - Notification

By timothy.sharpe ·
Is there a way to setup e-mail notification for Windows Backup? I have a couple of Windows 2000 Servers setup for testing purposes where I only need to backup a limited number of directories so I am looking into the built in Windows Backup software. I've done some testing and I am confident it will meet our needs for these servers. The only thing missing is some type of e-mail notification. On my production servers I use Veritas Backup Exec and I am able to configure e-mail notifications of the jobs success or failure. Is there some way to setup Windows Backup to do the same?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by jschein In reply to 2000 Server Native Backup ...

No.. it is a no frills kind of program... basic and to the point.

You would need a third party scheduler program to run the job, then e-mail when completed.

Collapse -

by timothy.sharpe In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by timothy.sharpe In reply to 2000 Server Native Backup ...

I know that it is not a built in option for Windows Backup, but like everything else there must be ways around it weather it be some type of script, shareware utility etc.. . I am wondering if anyone else has found a way around this. I am looking at Automize which is a 3rd party utility produced by Hitek Software ($57.00 per copy). I was hoping for something a little more straightforward and maybe free and I was wondering if anyone out there has already addresses this thus saving me the investigating / testing time.

Collapse -

by jschein In reply to 2000 Server Native Backup ...

I gave you your answer to the question asked. Told you that you would need a 3rd party scheduler. No need to REJECT my answer because it was correct.

Collapse -

by timothy.sharpe In reply to

I figured this out on my own and I am posting the answer just in case anyone is interested.

First I installed and configured BLAT which is a freeware simple SMTP mail program which can send e-mail via the command line. Then I created the backup job I wanted and set it to run once and ran it. Then I opened Windows Backup and ran the backup wizard. I created the job I wanted and then I scheduled it to run once for the next day. I then opened Scheduled Tasks and grabbed the properties for the scheduled backup job I just created. In the 'Run" section there is a command line string, I inserted this string into a new batch file and edited the string using the command line switches available with Backup. Then I put in a new line in the batch file which called BLAT and sends and e-mail.

Listed below are the contents of the batch file. Because the Backup command line is so long I am indicating the carriage return with the > symbol. Do not use the > symbol in the batch file, I am just using it to show that what appears to be multiple lines in the batch file are actually one line (word wrap etc.. )

>C:\WINNT\system32\NTBACKUP.EXE backup "@C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows NT\NTBackup\data\Daily.bks" /n "Daily" /d "Daily" /v:yes /r:no /rs:no /hc:on /m normal /j "Daily" /l:s /UM /p "4mm DDS"
>blat c:\test.txt -s TEST_REGION123_Backup_Complete -to timothy.sharpe@ofc.state.ma.us

Collapse -

by timothy.sharpe In reply to 2000 Server Native Backup ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)