General discussion

2000 server upgrade

By tvoss ·
I am upgrading my NT4 domain to Win2k. I'm wondering what approach I should take to move to this environment. My current situation is 1 NT4 SP6a PDC that is also running Exchange 5.5, 1 Win2k server running SQL 2000, 1 Win2k server that will become the new dc and Exchange 2000 server. We are a small company, under 50 users. I would like to avoid upgrading the NT4 machine because of its age (200 Mhz 256 memory).
Should I install AD on the new DC and install Exchange 2000 and migrate the accounts to the new machine?
Will AD automatically demote the PDC fom NT4?
Is their a better way to do this that I haven't read about yet.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

2000 server upgrade

by timwalsh In reply to 2000 server upgrade

There several unbreakable rules that you must deal with when migrating from NT4 to Win2K (and from Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2000):
1. Installing Active Directory (AD) on any Win2K server automatically creates an Active Directory (AD) Domain Controller (DC).
2. A Win2K DC CANNOT exist in an NT4 domain.
3. An NT4 PDC CANNOT exist in a Win2K AD domain (although an NT4 BDC can).
4. To migrate an NT4 Domain to Win2K and AD, you MUST install Win2K and AD on an NT4 PDC (will not work on a BDC).
5. Exchange 2000 MUST have access to an AD DC (but it doesn't need to be installed on a DC).

Given that you don't want to upgrade your current PDC, you really have 3 options:
1. Create a separate Win2K domain and Exchange2K organization and recreate accounts (and mailboxes) from scratch. This option is really dependant on the total number of users you have and the stability of your current NT domain and Exchange organization. While this option might take more work, if you are currently experiencing any ongoing problem with either NT4 or Exchange, this might be the cleaner way to go (i.e. you won't be tranferring any problems from your old domain/Exchange organization to the new one.)

2. Upgrade your current PDC enough to perform a standard domain/Exchange migration/upgrade. Install Win2K/AD/Exchange on your new server as and additional DC and Exchange server. Transfer all FSMO rolls from your old server to the new one and demote the old DC. Move mailboxes form one Exchange2K server to the other. Decommision the old server .
(continued)

Collapse -

2000 server upgrade

by timwalsh In reply to 2000 server upgrade

3. Install NT4 on your new DC as a BDC. Force synchronization with the PDC. Promote this BDC to PDC (which will automatically demote the current PDC). Install Win2K and AD on the new DC (which migrates all user accounts). Install Exchange2K in your current Exchange 5.5 organization as an additional server. Move mailboxes (and other components) from the 5.5 server to the 2000 server. (NOTE: there are many more steps involved with this type of Exchange migration than if you simply conducted an in-place upgrade).

Hope this helps.

Collapse -

2000 server upgrade

by tvoss In reply to 2000 server upgrade

Tim,
Thank You very much, I think that this was the reassurance that I was looking for.

Collapse -

2000 server upgrade

by tvoss In reply to 2000 server upgrade

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)