General discussion

2000 workstation cannot see NT 4 server

By BigCheif ·
I have a NT server and several win98 computers The 98 computer acces files on the NT server. The 2000 workstation can see all of the 98 computers but cannot see the NT server. I cannot receive a ping reply from the server when pinged from the 98 computers or the 2000 computer. I tried to set up the 2000 computer to attach to the domain and as a workgroup but neither worked. any ideas.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

10 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by radiic In reply to 2000 workstation cannot s ...

I think i know your problem. I had the same one. When you do your ctrl-alt-delete on the 2000 box, make sure you click on the options button which makes the 3rd line of the logon show up. I am willing to bet that it says log on to <name of 200 machine> instead of the domain that you had it join. This means that it logs in locally and not onto the network. Try it let me know.

Rad

Collapse -

by radiic In reply to 2000 workstation cannot s ...

I forgot to say that you need to click on the drop down arrow and choose your domain name instead of the local machine name.

Collapse -

by Shanghai Sam In reply to 2000 workstation cannot s ...

I asked this question to help another person. He solved the problem by loading some other protocals. He may not have tcpip working on the server, the reason he could not ping it. Thank you for the help anyway.

Collapse -

by eBob In reply to 2000 workstation cannot s ...

If you cannot PING, then I would suggest the TCP/IP is not setup right, likely on the W2K box.

Assuming these boxes are all on the same "collision domain" (i.e., physical network segment), they also need to be on the same subnet. Watch out for the subnet mask, too.

-How are you managing IP addresses: DHCP or hard-coded?
- Compare results on boxes using "ipconfig /all | more".
- On your W2K box, try "ping 127.0.0.1". This is the "local loopback". If this fails, then TCP/IP needs to be removed, and loaded again (it's more than just a config error).

Subnet examples:
W98: 192.168.1.22, subnet mask 255.255.255.0
NT4: 192.168.1.34, subnet mask 255.255.255.0
etc.

Your W2K should be 192.168.1.xxx, subnet mask 255.255.255.0, where "xxx" is some other number between 1 and 254, not in use by any other system on your segment.

Collapse -

I asked this question to help another person. He solved the problem by loading some other protocals. He may not have tcpip working on the server, the reason he could not ping it from the other computers. Therefor the answers you gave are probably what would correct his real problem if he wants to use TCPIP. Thank you for the help anyway

Collapse -

by curlergirl In reply to 2000 workstation cannot s ...

Here are some suggestions:
1. Make sure your Win2K workstation is on the same IP subnet as the server. If you're using DHCP, make sure that is specified in the TCP/IP properties on the workstation.
2. Make sure that NetBIOS over TCP/IP is enabled on the workstation.
3. Make sure that you have enabled File and Print Sharing on the workstation.
4. Make sure that whatever name resolution method you are using (DNS or WINS) on the network is properly configured on the workstation.
5. Jointhe domain using the Network ID wizard. If you can join the domain this way, then you know that TCP/IP and name resolution are working.

If all of this is done and works, you should be able to see and use any shared folders on the server that your users have permission to open. Hope this helps!

Collapse -

I asked this question to help another person. He solved the problem by loading some other protocals. He may not have tcpip working on the server or isn't working correctly, the reason he could not ping it from the other computers. Thank you for thehelp anyway

Collapse -

by jaboy78 In reply to 2000 workstation cannot s ...

If you set properly your ip address shouldn't be any problem.

Try to check the cable that link from your server to your win2000.

See the network card on the win2000 PC,whether there is a light or not. If no, that means that the cable got problem.Maybe not climp properly.

Try to use another cable or take your win2000 pc to your other win98 pc to test it.

If works, that means network cable problem.

Collapse -

The win2k computer could see all the 98 computers it just couldn't see the nt computer. I asked this question to help another person. He solved the problem by loading some other protocals. He may not have tcpip working on the server correctly, the reason he could not ping it from the other computers. Thank you for the help anyway

Collapse -

by BigCheif In reply to 2000 workstation cannot s ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
10 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  

Related Forums