General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

2003 dns?

by matt ·

I am experiencing some issues on a small 2003 network with 2000pro clients. I can ping by host name, but get an “Unknown Host” repsonse when attempting to ping by full dns names. I am also having difficulty adding a global account to a local group on the clients. I can select a domain account on the local machine, but when I hit apply I get the following error. “Processing of object failed with the following error The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted” The clients are members of the domain. I am also unable to manage the client machines from the server. Any ideas?

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

Reply To: 2003 dns?

by cg it ·

In reply to 2003 dns?

sounds like DNS isn’t running or a problem with the DNS records. Give us some details on what records your have in your foward lookup zone in DNS [give us the reverse lookup zones as well]. note: if dns isn’t running or the dns host,A,Cname,ptr records doint provide the right information for clients to find the domain controller they won’t be logged in, therefore when you try to manage them from a server with computer mgt console, you won’t as they aren’t on the domain.

Viewing 0 reply threads