General discussion

2003 in a 2000 active directory domain

By adembo ·
What steps must be taken to integrate a new 2003 server in an already established 2000 domain. I know there have been problems while running domain prep when you also have exchange 2000, which we do. I have heard there is a utility or something that can be run to prevent problems with exchange after you run the domain prep, since the schema is modified by doing so.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

10 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by BFilmFan In reply to 2003 in a 2000 active dir ...

Do you mean place the server in the domain as a member?

Or do you mean that you plan to introduce the 2003 server as a domain controller?

Collapse -

by adembo In reply to

A new domain controller in its own site in the domain. It will be replacing an outdated 2000 server. I did find microsoft Article ID : 325379 on how to do this, but want to know if anyone has used this suggested way.

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to 2003 in a 2000 active dir ...

theres really nothing one does differently in adding a W2003 server or DC into a AD environment that has W2000 servers or DCs in there already. Just join the domain if you want a W2003 server in there or join and dcpromo promote to a DC. Now if you want to retire the W2000 server that runs Exchange 2000 and install a new W2003 server with the new Exchange 2003 thats a different story all together.

Collapse -

by adembo In reply to

CG IT, actually there is huge difference in adding a 2003 DC to a 2000 domain when you are using Exchange 2000, hence producing my question.

There will be schema errors in LDAP names if you do not do this the proper way.

Collapse -

by p.j.hutchison In reply to 2003 in a 2000 active dir ...

i have replaced a W2000 domain (with E2K installed) with a 2003 domain. There are no major issues at all, just run the script to change a few items in the schema to prevent mangling and run ADPREP from the 2003 Cd and its ready to upgrade! I had no issues since!

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;325379

Collapse -

by adembo In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to 2003 in a 2000 active dir ...

Ya know, I've added a Windows 2003 server to a Windows 2000 AD based domain with Exchange 2003 without the problems you are referring to. I've also added a Windows 2003 server to a Windows 2003 AD domain with Exchange 2003 without the problems your referring to.

Adding a server doesn't change the schema. Adding a DC doesn't change the schema. Adding an Exchange Server changes the schema and the account used must be a member of the schema admins group or else the install will fail. However, the there is a wizard the updates the schema automatically when you install Exchange on the network. No one manually changes schema entries unless absoultely necessary e.g. such as adding in a different language into the network to accomodate users who need language support.

So, the problems you mention are probably a KB article on Technet that during installation you might run across but are not problems normally seen.

Sorry but your question is what steps must be taken to intergrate a new 2003 server into an already established 2000 domain and that you know there have been problems while runnign domain prep when you have exchange. I have not run across the problem you mention and I've done a lot of W2003 server intergration into existing W2K domains with Exchange.

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to

If I knew there was a problem, I'd find the answer. If I found it in a KB article I wouldn't come on to Techrepublic and see if people here know. What's the point in that except maybe jerk people around.

Collapse -

by adembo In reply to

You said: "Adding a server doesn't change the schema. Adding a DC doesn't change the schema. Adding an Exchange Server changes the schema and the account used must be a member of the schema admins group or else the install will fail"

You are correct, adding a server does not update the schema, but have you ever tried to add a 2003 DC to a 2000 AD domain? You will not be able to unless you run adprep /forestprep, which indeed does update the schema, and hence gives mangled LDAP names. That was my question, simply, has anyone ran the utility to upgrade the LDAP names. Are you not familiar with that?

Collapse -

by adembo In reply to 2003 in a 2000 active dir ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
10 total posts (Page 1 of 1)