Question

2003 Server

By todd ·
Hi, I am going to be upgrading our server (Windows Server 2003) from a file server to a domain. I have one easy question and one issue to contend with. The rest I think I know well enough.

Quick question... We are on a cable modem with about 12-14 workstations. I will be getting a static IP for the server from our cable company. Will the cable modem pass through the information to resolve to the static IP on the server? I plan to set up a VPN. And is it best to keep the modem as the DHCP server or make 2003 the DHCP server? The server has plenty of RAM and processing power (2 GB RAM and dual 2 Ghz CPUs, 1 Gb/s network card)

Issue... We have 2 different people needing to access applications on a local PC with information on the server, and both people are located in 2 different states from us. Currently they log into Hamachi and control the local PC that way. I would like to set them up with a VPN, but don't believe they could access the software on the local PC. Is there a good way to set this up with the domain? Optimally, I would like them to both be able to utilize the software at the same time if needed. I think the license allows this, but I will be checking on it. Best solution? Would I need to send them the software? Or could they possibly run it from the server? Or, I guess, I set it up to install on their local PCs when they need it?
Thanks! TC

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Why the public IP?

by LarryD4 In reply to 2003 Server

First off I'm wondering why the need for the public IP?

Q1,
Will the cable modem pass through the information to resolve to the static IP on the server?
> Well right now my guess is No, you probably have a Cable/DSL firewalled router from the cable company. So your new "Public" ip address will need to be connected on the outside. Or on the public internet side of the router. Unless you have a FW/router that is capable of creating a VLAN that sets up the public ip for the gateway and the other for the server, but I doubt that.

And you really DON"T want your Domain Controller subject to public internet traffic.

Q2.
I plan to set up a VPN. And is it best to keep the modem as the DHCP server or make 2003 the DHCP server? The server has plenty of RAM and processing power (2 GB RAM and dual 2 Ghz CPUs, 1 Gb/s network card)

To make it easier for you I would let the server handle the DHCP stuff and you can use a VPN to conenct to the other location.

Before you worry about client app software get the network issues ironed out.

A VPN connection seems the smart route and you need to iron out your details with your ISP first. Then tackle the process of getting the app to work.

Collapse -

Public IP

by todd In reply to Why the public IP?

I wanted to use the public IP to make it easier to set up the VPN with the clients that are located out of state who need to connect to the server. If you are able to point me to an easy route of setting up the VPN without a static IP, I'd enjoy reading it.

I figured the IP would need to be outside the modem/router. We are also using a NG ProSafe VPN router/FW between the network and modem as well. I wasn't sure how I'd set up the VPN to resolve without having to change VPN settings with a new IP every month or so when it renewed without having a public IP.

That's why I'm here with questions, so I can iron out some details prior to implementing.
What would be the best route for getting the server, modem, router set up so I can set up the outside VPNs? The cable modem is my sticky point.
Thanks for the help! TC

Collapse -

Sounds like you have what you need already.

by 1bn0 In reply to Public IP

If the prosafe VPN router acts as a VPN rndpoint and allows the remote user to create a vpn connection to the network, tha tshould be all you need. The stsatic IP is a good idea for the VPN router wan port so the clients have static ip to aim their vpn client at. I don't see that you have any other real issue. If the reomte clients can establish a VPN to the net work, you should be able to allowtehm to Remote Desktop to the local PC that is running the application they require. You may be able to ru nthe app right from there remote computer. That would depend on how the applciation interacts with the server.

Collapse -

VPN

by todd In reply to Sounds like you have what ...

Thanks 1bn0! The VPN is a big part of the server setup that I have to have ironed out before I implement. I'll have to check with Netgear on this VPN Router/FW to make sure it will do what I want. I may end up purchasing their VPN client to make sure it works well enough.
TC

Collapse -

vpn to your domain controller-

by mbwmn In reply to VPN

i had terrible experiences w/ netgear and linksys vpn software! you can open a port on your firewall (1530?) and allow client vpn requests to pass through to the domain controller. use your network WAN ip to set this up. the domain controller will authenticate your remote client and establish a connection. (this setup does require some measure of secure logons/passwords). i like MS-CHAP V2 w/ L2TP tunneling. connecting is a 2-step process:
a) client connects to the internet
b) client connects to vpn
mapped drives are automatically re-connected, and remote desktop can be established (if needed).

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/network/bb545442.aspx
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/techinfo/overview/remoteaccess.mspx

http://www.windowsecurity.com/articles/Securing_Remote_Access_Connections.html

http://www.windowsecurity.com/articles/VPN-Options.html

the hard part of all this will be domain controller setup. vpn will be easy...

good luck.

Collapse -

Re: VPN to DC

by todd In reply to vpn to your domain contro ...

Thanks Bowman! Good info. I thought the Netgear client software would be an easy solution for the users I'll have to set up, but experience usually tells a different story. Reading MS-Chap V2 does sound nice and secure. Enabled by default on server 2003, so that will help. Thanks for all the links. I'll be going through them.

You think the VPN part is easy, but this is my first time actually setting them up and using. :) Guess I'll find out.
TC

Back to Networks Forum
6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)