General discussion

2003 Server opening Office documents

By Doot ·
I am running Windows 2003 Server Std Edition with Terminal Services. I have Office 2003 installed with the relevant service packs for the TS Users Office documnets.

My problem is that there is a 20 to 30 second delay when opening a small Word or Excel document, e.g. 63K document. Once the first document is open, the rest open instantly. This does not only occur on the TS Sessions, but also directly from the 2003 Server Console.

There is also a printing / print preview problem / delay from there main application which uses office as its print preview backend.

Can anyone point me in the right direction in sloving this?

Thanks

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by ghimpe-- In reply to 2003 Server opening Offic ...

Sounds to me like the delay is caused by the loading of the MS Office aplication. Once that is loaded it opens the documents with speed.

Collapse -

by Doot In reply to 2003 Server opening Offic ...

The Office applications, excel & word, open fine by themselves. The delay occurs when opening an actual document, either from explorer or from "File, Open".

Collapse -

by ghimpe-- In reply to 2003 Server opening Offic ...

How much memory does the system has and how much of it is in use?

Collapse -

by ghimpe-- In reply to

Oh, i'm sory but i can't realy help you
Is this delay such annoying? like you said it only happens the first time you open an file, afterwards it all work OK.

Collapse -

by Doot In reply to 2003 Server opening Offic ...

The Server is a HP Proliant ML350 G4, 3.6Ghz Dual Processor, 3GB RAM with over 2GB available.

Collapse -

by BFilmFan In reply to 2003 Server opening Offic ...

Most likely the Normal.dot is corrupted.

Follow the steps listed here to correct that issue:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q247028/

Back to Windows Forum
6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)