General discussion

2003 server sharing

By Navjun ·
I just installed win 2003 server on my other PC for practice and I have set to share files, but for some reason I can't open the server from the network, I have set the same workgroup and IP range and although i do see the server from my other win XP pro but i just can't open it to retrive the files , but i cam see and retirive the files on my win xp from the server 2003, please any one has any suggestions?

thank you

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to 2003 server sharing

Did you create a domain on your 2003 server? or are you peer-to-peer [e.g. workgroup]? workgroup is a peer-to-peer network and permissions need to be created to allow the XP box permission to log on to the 2003 server [e.g. access this computer from the network, add in your XP box. You find this security setting in security settings, local security policy, administrative tools on the 2003 server.

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to

Note: if your running a firewall on the XP box, the firewall will prevent communications between the server and the XP box. Clear the firewall settings to automatically load on startup, then reboot your computer with the firewall off. Try access the share on the 2003 server.

Collapse -

by Navjun In reply to

NO there is no firewall and I do see the server from the XP but i just can't access the files, I get an error like you don't have permission to use the services on this device and contact your admin. and Yes ihave the same user name and pass for both server and the client . I did check the "access this computer from the network, add in your XP box." and administrator and all the users are allowed . so i don't know what else it can be

Collapse -

by Navjun In reply to 2003 server sharing

Point value changed by question poster.

Collapse -

by Navjun In reply to 2003 server sharing

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)