General discussion


2008 Server Licensing Question

By Vindex ·

We're planning on moving from an SBS2003 server to 2 x Windows 2008 servers.

Server A to run as PDC with File & Print sharing
Server B to run as an Exchange 2010 server

with a mixture of 50 users local and remote (we already have a 2003 TS server with appropriate CALS that will remain untouched apart from connecting to the new domain)

We obviously need 50 CALS for Server A & 50 CALS for Exchange 2010. But do we still need another 50 2k8 CALs for Server B?

Thanks in advance


This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Exchange CALs

by CharlieSpencer In reply to 2008 Server Licensing Que ...

I believe Outlook includes the CALs for Exchange. If you plan on using Outlook as your e-mail client, you may not need those Exchange CALs.

Collapse -

Outlook / Exchange CALs

by Vindex In reply to Exchange CALs

I think it's the other way a round now. 1 Exchange CAL is also a license for a connecting Outlook (if that sentance makes sense). That's why (IIRC) when you get hosted exchange they give you Outlook as well.

Related Discussions

Related Forums