Question

2008 Server R2 installation error

By sfeatherston ·
I keep getting a "cd/dvd driver needed" error. Everything in the BIOS looks good. I have tried 2 different cd/dvd ROM drives but I still cannot get past that error. Since when do you need a driver for a cd/dvd ROM drive? Anyone know a work around for this? I am loading it on Server that is only 2 years old.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

try....

by ---TK--- In reply to 2008 Server R2 installati ...

removing one.... fire it up to install the OS, if it throws an error, shutdown, connect the other one, and try to install again. One of the devices might be bad, or causing some sort of conflict..

Collapse -

Only one installed

by sfeatherston In reply to try....

I only have one ROM installed. They both work and burn etc. They are LG and I just tried a 3 one that I know works as well. Any other thoughts?

Collapse -

Try This

by IC-IT In reply to Only one installed

If it is a SATA drive, have the controller driver on a thumb/floppy drive.

If IDE change the jumper from CS to Master.

Collapse -

IDE and Jumper is on Master

by sfeatherston In reply to Try This

Still asking for cd/dvd driver. It seems like a lot of people have this problem when installing 2008 server but no one seems to have a workaround. I thought I saw somewhere that there is a way to create a cd driver for it but I can't find it now. *sigh*

Collapse -

One Suggestion

by NetMan1958 In reply to 2008 Server R2 installati ...

I've been researching this a little and from what I've read Windows 7(and probably Server 200 sometimes has an issue during install if both IDE and SATA co-exist on the motherboard. Seems no one has an answer but several have gotten around it by either installing a SATA cd/dvd or installing from a 4GB flash drive.

Hope this helps.