Question

2008 servers not taking Computer Policy from group policies

By MTGroup ·
Got a strange problem, our 2008 servers are not taking group policy it seems, and when I run gpupdate /force I get this

"The processing of Group Policy failed. Windows attempted to read the file \\<DOMAIN>\SysVol\<DOMAIN>\Policies\{D07F80B7-6A6B-4C88-A1FB-28FEAB4CA197}\gpt.ini from a domain controller and was not successful. Group Policy settings may not be applied until this event is resolved. This issue may be transient and could be caused by one or more of the following:
a) Name Resolution/Network Connectivity to the current domain controller.
b) File Replication Service Latency (a file created on another domain controller has not replicated to the current domain controller).
c) The Distributed File System (DFS) client has been disabled."

Going to the error logs shows the same error, and looking at the details tab shows that its ErrorCode 5, which is apparently access denied, however I can manually go to the GPO using the same credentials and even click on the link it gives me in the general screen of the error log and succesfully open the gpt.ini!

All our client workstations and Server 2003 machines are working fine, and I am at a loss. The User Policy seems to work fine as well.

Domain Controller is a 2008 SBS box with SP1.

Any ideas??

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Pardon me if I'm wrong here

by OH Smeg In reply to 2008 servers not taking C ...

But according to you the DC is Domain Controller is a 2008 SBS box with SP1

Can this connect to other Window Servers?

I seem to remember that the SBS Versions of all Server Products where a One Only Server Application and could not be joined to other Windows Server Platforms.

I may be wrong by I do remember that being the case.

Col

Collapse -

Only FSMO roles. The SBS box must have all roles.

by CG IT In reply to Pardon me if I'm wrong he ...

other than that, you can have other DCs, members servers, the only other limitation is 75 devices to the SBS box [device CALs] so you can have combinations of servers and workstations up to 75 devices.

SBS also has a somewhat weird implentation of Group Policy structure. the OUs for SBS are contained in My Business as the top level OU, Servers computers and users are all child OUs of My Business OU. So, have to make sure that the servers, workstations you want GPOs to apply to are in theses OUs.

Back to Networks Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)