General discussion

256 color display

By ponkshej ·
Hi
I have a very old computer with Windows 98. This had to be formatted and after formatting, the i am unable to install some other games/ softwares because the display has now changed to 16 color. (Before formatting 256 color was available). I tried to change it back to 256 color, but system does not allow selection of any other display. I have a monitor which shows as 500G in system, and display adaptor as standard PCI graphics adaptor VGA which is SIS 6215 v2. I have sound card in system CT4810. I am unable to get the necessary drivers from anywhere (including manufacturers site). Can someone help.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

You need to install the Video Driver

by OH Smeg In reply to 256 color display

For the Higher Color Resolutions. Windows 98 Does Not come with all of the possible Video Drivers so you need to use the one supplied by the Video Card or M'Board Maker for Windows 9X.

Col

Collapse -

do a Google search on the graphics card and get the driver

by Deadly Ernest In reply to 256 color display

for it for Win 98 - once you load the correct driver, it will work. SIS usually have a full range of drivers available for all their products on their site.

If that fails, you may want to consider loading a version of Linux as it doesn't have as much driver issues with common graphics cards as some versions of Windows.

Back to Hardware Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)