General discussion

2nd site Network expansion Win2003

By david.roebuck ·
This is a repost of an earlyer question, i have made some additional point that i could use some assistance on. If this breaks TOS then please let me know.

My company is expanding rapidly to include a 2nd building some 50 feet away from our present 1. In order to achieve some seperation between the 2 buildings to avoid bottlenecks and so on this new building we be operating as a 2nd site on a subnet.
The network will be extended with a 100Base-T LAN extender.
Great!

This is where i get a little Hazy, i have decided to give the site a seperate ADSL line to the outside world and a seperate File/Print server (again reducing cross network traffic) But but how do i actually assign new hardware to this subnet
Am i making sense here?

I am just a little bit hazy on how i can seperate this subnet and how i can assign things to it. MS books online arnt really helping

I have a 10Meg LAN extenstion connecting the 2 sites, so i want to limmit traffic between the 2 if possible, hence having a dedicated print server over there.
DNS and DHCP dont use a lot of bandwidth (right?) so they can both be left hosted at the original site, but could email put a strain on bandwidth? considering around 2Meg of that will be used by VOIP.
What would be the best way in your opinion to ensure nwetork traffic is kept to a minimum between the sites?
Are Managed switches nesercary?
Or can i avoid cross building traffic by simply not giving packets any reason to cross over?

Thanks again

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by BFilmFan In reply to 2nd site Network expansi ...

You would create a second Active Directory site in the administrative console Active Directory Sites and Services.

You would then associate the subnet with that site.

At this point, systems registering in DNS as being in that subnet would be be identified by DNS records as being in that AD site.

How many clients will be in this other building?

What applications will they be running?

This will determine not only your bandwidth utilization, but if you require a second domain controller in the facility.

You will not be able to block traffic between the two networks or you are going to have major issues with systems falling out of Active Directory.

Collapse -

by BFilmFan In reply to

Ona nother note, please rate the answers which you were given when you first asked this question please. Thank you in advance.

Collapse -

by david.roebuck In reply to 2nd site Network expansi ...

Thanks
I will be having 64 clients in the 2nd building; I have already created the site and assigned it the subnet (a range of 100)
Around 50 of them are just using a web browser to access a virtual call centre package and possibly VOIP to a telephone switch located in our current office (Not decided on yet), while the rest (Managers) will be using email (Exchange) printing and file sharing. Hence the new print and file server

I am a little unsure on:
?At this point, systems registering in DNS as being in that subnet would be identified by DNS records as being in that AD site?
Obviously when I add new XP machines to the domain, I let it obtain an address by DHCP automatically. What stops new machines in the 2nd site just getting an IP address as part of the main site?

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to 2nd site Network expansi ...

humm, are in the previous question 50 ft distance isn't that far. The nebulous aspect to all this is bandwidth utilization which until someone actually starts monitoring the link to determine just how much bandwidth is being used [including overhead] the usage remains an unknown. That unknown is the crux of the problem. Can start limiting traffic until you know what to limit and you don't know what to limit because you don't know whats eating up bandwidth. Could be DNS, could be DHCP but more likely, clients accessing services on the network and any Internet access will eat up the most.

As far as clients in the second building obtaining an IP address from DHCP running in the first building, as long as there isn't a router between the 2, DHCP discover, offer, acknowledge traffic will reach those clients. If you stick a router there, you'll have to install a DHCP relay agent because DHCP packets dont get fowarded by the router.

Back to Windows Forum
4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)