General discussion

304 error at startup

By granogue ·
when i boot up my compaq presario 7596 desktop an error message appears that says, ''304 error keyboard or system unit error.'' my system is working fine, so i turned off my computer and plugged in a spare keyboard, booted up again, and it still doesn't work. any suggestions as to how to solve this problem would be appreciated. by the way,this problem began after i moved my computer to the other side of the room. but the system works fine and if i damaged my keyboard in the moving process then the spare one should work fine but it doesn't. i moved the computer gently.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by TheChas In reply to 304 error at startup

Question?? Does the computer work correctly and allow you to boot into Windows after the error?

If so, I am confused.

If the computer WAS working fine, and now does not, here are a few things to check:

Make sure that the mouse and keyboard are plugged into the correct ports.

Next, you will need to open the case.

You want to make sure that ALL plug-in cards, cable connectors and the memory modules are properly seated.

If it still does not work, my next suspect would be the battery that backs up the BIOS settings.
If the battery was weak, the process of unplugging and moving the PC may have caused the BIOS settings to become corrupt.

The best way to check this, is to remove and test the battery.

If the battery is weak, you need to clear the CMOS settings, and install a new battery.

Then, when you boot up, you will need to enter BIOS setup and adjust the BIOS settings as needed.

At a minimum, you will need to set the date and time.

Chas

Collapse -

by granogue In reply to 304 error at startup

I can boot into Windows just fine and access the internet. I went into device manager and all my hardware is working fine except for the keyboard. I'm using my computer's on-screen keyboard to type this message and it's a major pain. I opened the computer and checked for any loose connections. There are none. To erase my cmos and bios info. would be a problem because I don't know it--i don't have it written down anywhere. please help.

Collapse -

i can't check if the cmos battery is good because i don't have a battery tester. is there any other way to solve my problem.

Collapse -

when i turn on my compuer the 304 error warning appears. then i just wait and don't do anything and 30 seconds later Windows starts to boot. the keyboard is plugged into the correct socket.

Collapse -

by gralfus In reply to 304 error at startup

Compaq only has three solutions to this error:
1. Replace the keyboard
2. Replace the touchpad or mouse
3. Replace the system board
http://www.compaq.com/athome/support/msgs/1800t-1825/power1.html

Back to Hardware Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)