General discussion

3Com Nic 905C tx

By Warco ·
I am running 7 PC's peer to peer using 3Com
100 mbit 905C TX cards. I also have a 3Com
10/100 mbit Hub. The network is running slow and I am detecting collisions at the hub.
I have configured the Nics to run full duplex at 100 mbit for the media,still getting collisions. How do I eliminate this. The systems are 3 Win 98 SE, 1 NT 4.0 Workstation, 1 Millennium, 1 98 SE Laptop and 1 Win 2000. Any help would be appreciated.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

3Com Nic 905C tx

by greg.bohm In reply to 3Com Nic 905C tx

Better buy a switch! All of the operating systems you are running are very 'chatty' or generate a lot of network traffic from the moment they start up. You could verify this with a network/protocol analyzer. But, switches are so cheap these days and they will guarantee each client their own virtual connection to eliminate all collisions.

Collapse -

3Com Nic 905C tx

by Warco In reply to 3Com Nic 905C tx

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

3Com Nic 905C tx

by Bill Cassada In reply to 3Com Nic 905C tx

Go to half duplex on all machines. Each collision results in the nic "backing off" of the next transmission...getting slower and slower. Going to half duplex will solve your problem. Is there any particular need for full duplex on your setup?

Collapse -

3Com Nic 905C tx

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

3Com Nic 905C tx

by SFO Farmer In reply to 3Com Nic 905C tx

Upgrade from a hub to a switch would be the best route. (You will always detect some collisions on a dumb hub) If you want to speed up the network- eliminate any uneeded protocols like DLC-NetBuei-IPX. Full duplex will work best with a switch and a TCP/IP only network will be more more effective. Hope this helps! SFO

Collapse -

3Com Nic 905C tx

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

3Com Nic 905C tx

by HHH In reply to 3Com Nic 905C tx

Had kind of the same problem, turns out one of the nic's was bad causing collisions, also check cables, make sure there cat5 and noting heavy is resting on them or bent or knotted.(is it possible to run a tester on each cable?)

Collapse -

3Com Nic 905C tx

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

3Com Nic 905C tx

This question was closed by the author

Back to Desktop Forum
9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)