General discussion

3Com's SuperStack II Hub (3C16593A)

By sir_tuc ·
We just bought from an auction 2 of these hubs. Hooked them up and now it seems that these hubs will only randomly allow users access to our LAN. (I can't find any unbiased reviews on these in the internet.) A perfect example and true story; Our accountant could not login in yesterday so he went home, but can login fine today. The changes I made, NONE! Swear to God! Is anybody else sharing in my frustration with these hubs? This is happening with several users, including me. I could login yesterday and can't today. No software added/deleted or any other changes were made!

Brian

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Zen37 In reply to 3Com's SuperStack II Hub ...

Sounds strange, stupid question, you bought them at an auction, are your sure they were not defective?
When you are not able to log on, do you have a link light on the hub for the port you are using? If you do, do you see traffic? Did you check your IP configuration? Can you ping your PDC (assuming you are using NT)?

These may sound like stupid, obvious questions, but i usually fing that the weirder the problem, the simplest the solution is.

Let me know.

Collapse -

by sir_tuc In reply to 3Com's SuperStack II Hub ...

Don't sweat the rating, I probably will change later. Boss SWEARS the hubs are good, When user can not logon there is no link light on hub port for that user, Again no changes were made IP or other wise, We are using NT4 with SP6a, users that can logon we can ping OK, users not able to logon we can not ping. BTW, all 24 ports are populated.

Collapse -

by rkelly In reply to 3Com's SuperStack II Hub ...

I had a load of SuperStack II hubs, and finally had to get rid of them. What I found was that as they got older (they were about 4 years old when I replaced them) they got less stable. I started to get more collisions and more random stoping of traffic from ports. All the diagnostics came up fine - but there were obviously problems with them.

I have heard that they are quite sensitive to heat so you may want to check if the hubs are warm - I use them purly in a test enviroment now, where they are only used occasionally and they work fine as they aren't on 24/7 anymore.

Eventually threw them away and replaced them with Layer 2 switches - much more bandwidth efficient and more stable.

Collapse -

Thanks. I guess they were overheating, which is VERY strange because they were not hot to the touch, or even very warm! We placed some home made spacers between them and have not had any problems since.

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Networks Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)